You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:06 pm 

I'm new to sesame allergy. I got my results from other allergy testing (ImmunoCap) around the first of the year and didn't know sesame was one of the panels my doctor included. I expected the shellfish to come back positive. When I found out I was a Class 2 for sesame, I was shocked. So I ate some raw sesame and some toasted sesame and nothing happened. Lately, though, I think I've been reacting--and reacting to all kinds of things where I wouldn't necessarily expect sesame (could be there) or shellfish cross contamination.

It would be helpful to know where you've found unexpected sesame. Yesterday I had a reaction after eating a veggie sandwich (catered at work). There was no visible sesame in or on the bun (I don't think I'm sensitive to cross contamination yet). It had pesto, red bell peppers, carrots, and bean sprouts on it. Could it have been pesto? I've never heard of sesame in pesto, but I've been getting reactions after the craziest things.

So--where have you found sesame other than bread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:26 am 

I don't know what caused your reaction but I do know sesame is super potent, like peanut. Something like 1/3000 of a peanut can cause a life-threatening reaction--this is about 1/3000 or so less amount than it takes for most other allergens to cause a reaction. So we are talking super minute amounts causing life threatning reactions. Sesame is similarly super potent. Nuts are not quite as potent but still quite potent taking about 900 times less than most other allergens to cause a reaction. (Source on peanut and nuts is the Peanut Allergy Answer Book and source on sesame is from some internet links on sesame allergy.)

So, it is quite possible to react to sesame X contam. I called probably 30 or even 40 bread companies over the past 2 years and all but 2 make their bread on the very same equipment with breads containing sesame. Most do not consider sesame a top 8 allergy so don't clean for it (we are in the USA, maybe Canada is a bit different?) and some said there are sesame seeds just sitting on the pans in which non-sesame seed breads are cooked. So, if a tiny, miniscule amount of sesame can cause a reaction I can see how serious X contam could occur in bread.

Many things can have sesame in them. My son reacted with his eye swelling almost totally shut and lips getting swollen and facial hives from having just a drop of San-J soy sauce which had been made on shared equipment with sesame-containing products.

Salad dressings often have sesame.

Sesame can be labeled as "natural flavoring" and "spice."

Many companies are not aware that sesame is even an allergen and sometimes when I call to inquire about it I speak with people who think that sesame is the same as a nut.

Canned soups often contain sesame.

One woman at the kidswithfoodallergies.com message board said that she found canned tomatoes with sesame in them! Actually several said this -- I think they were the "Italian-style" diced tomatoes, so always read the label, even for things you think there is no way there could be sesame in them.

Flax seed oil often has sesame cross contamination. Barleens does not but many other brands do and my son reacted with the same kind of eye and lip swelling and hives to several brands of flax.

Spectrum oils are made on shared equip with nut oils and sesame oils.

Many kinds of cold-pressed oils are made on shared equip with peanut, treenut and sesame oils. Best to always call about oils and inquire. I worry a bit more about sesame *oil* because it is so hard to clean.

Cereals often have sesame in them (think Kashi brand and many more.)

Crackers -- I have found almost none that are OK for my son. Westminster crackers sold by Daiken (sp?) Farms are wheat crackers free of sesame and made in a dedicated facility.

Pasta sauces can have sesame.

Asian foods often have sesame. Asian sauces as well. I'd call and question the company thoroughly before using any Asian sauces. We do use Braggs Liquid Aminos and also Kikkoman soy sauce. Both are supposed to be made on equip free of my son's allergens but you should check on this yourself.

Salsa can have sesame in it. I saw two top brands last week that both had sesame oil in them.

Pretzles can have sesame.

Sunscreen can have sesame and so can lotion, soap, lipstick and makeup.

I would not eat out with a sesame allergy because sesame is not required to be labeled in the USA. I think it would be too hard for a chef to know if sesame was really in a given product or not if it wasn't something super plain like a baked potato and broiled chicken or something.

Sesame is the allergy I hope goes away more than the rest. Well, I would love them all to go away. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:05 am 

Hi lakeswimr and welcome to the board. :)

I agree, sesame is super potent. It also is one of the allergens that commonly causes anaphylaxis. It does for me.

I would be interested in seeing the sesame allergy links you mentioned.

In Canada I think labeling for sesame is better then in the US. It is considered in the top 10 allergens. I avoid anything with bread crumbs as an ingredient, unless I first check that the bread the crumbs come from is safe. I baked all my own breads and buns for years, and it's only the last year that I've been able to buy bread. I still haven't found safe buns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:58 pm 

Just to add to lakeswimr's warning about Spectrum oils----I bought Spectrum olive oil in Canada because there was no nut warning on it. Turns out, the nut warning is *underneath* the sticker they stick over the original label (Canadian labelling). This is the 2nd time that I've seen important allergy info. hidden by the Canadian labelling. (I had used the oil before seeing the warning, and I didn't have a reaction so I'm continuing to use it. But that's the last time I'm buying it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:02 pm 

Haven't found safe buns, yet, either but I *think* that maybe New Berlin Bakery might carry them. Check out their web site. :) I just get their bread sometimes when I'm too busy or don't feel like using our bread machine.

I don't have the links on sesame but if you google search 'sesame allergy' in the past anyway several of the first page links would have things that said things like 'sesame allergy should be treated like peanut allergy' and 'sesame is as potent an allergen as peanut but a lot less well-known so should be taken even more seriously than peanut' etc.

Yes, we also avoid bread crumbs. Speaking of which, my son got minor hives around his mouth after eating Ians Allergy Free! Fish Sticks and Chicken Nuggets. Have any of you tried them and if so have you reacted? I emalied Ians and at first they sounded like they were going to get to the bottom of things and were really responsive but then I *never* heard back from them and followed up with both the person high up who had emailed me and another email--neither of which got answered! So, we don't use their stuff which is too bad since my son liked them. They said there is nothing in anything they use that should cause my son to react. I can't figure out what caused the hives. I susupect sesame X contam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:05 pm 

Just posting again to say how great it is to talk to people who really *get* it! I mean, some people I know who are *very* nice have kids with sesame allergies which aren't as severe so they don't avoid X contam or call companies like I do. It is great to find others who deal with this the way we do. :) I"m so excited to continue to share info with you all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:27 pm 

Found these lists on CFIA web-site:

Possible sources of sesame seeds
Aqua Libra® (herbal drink)
Baked goods, e.g., breads, cookies, pastries, bagels, buns
Bread crumbs, bread sticks, cereals, crackers, melba toast, muesli
Dips, pâtés, spreads, e.g., hummus, chutney
Dressings, gravies, marinades, salads, sauces, soups
Ethnic foods, e.g., flavoured rice, noodles, shish kebabs, stews, stir fry
Flavour(ing)
Herbs, seasoning, spice
Margarine
Processed meats, sausages
Risotto (rice dish)
Sesame oil, sesame salt (gomasio)
Snack foods, e.g., bagel/pita chips, candy, granola bars, halvah, pretzels, rice cakes, sesame snap bars
Tahini
Tempeh
Vegetarian burgers

Non-food sources of sesame seeds
Adhesive bandages
Cosmetics, hair care products, perfumes, soaps, sun screens
Drugs
Fungicides, insecticides
Lubricants, ointments, topical oils
Pet food
Sesame meal, e.g., poultry and livestock feed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:16 pm 

Has anyone ever had problems with bandages? A member of my group who also saw the info on the CFIA site was wondering (quite awhile ago), but when I posted here about it then no one had an answer.

It seems a very bizarre thing... but then I guess we've all seen bizarre things in Allergy Land!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm 

No, I haven't had a problem with bandaids. I really should call about it. Apparently the brand we use doesn't bother DS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 pm 

I've never had any problems with bandaids. I don't *stick* with any one brand. :lol:

I've also never had a problem with prescription medicins. Or OTC for that matter.