You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Salad dressing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 pm 

I make our salad dressing because I haven't found any brands yet that are for sure sesame X contam-free. Does anyone know of any brands? I know, making my own is way healthier, etc but it would be nice to have the convenience of a pre-made salad dressing.

I did use Seeds of Change in the past but stopped because they could not tell me *anything* reguarding sesame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:02 pm 

I use Kraft. In Canada they label for may contains, but I'm not sure about their company policy in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 pm 

I typically make all our own salad dressings as well, but we have found 2 we can use. Do you have Renees salad dressing in the U.S.? I recently found a specific Renees dressing that our son can eat that contains none of allergens (no sesame, of course, and there's also no egg, which I find in almost all the creamy salad dressings except for these new Renees salad dressings). These Renees dressings are in a tub, found in the refrigerated area in the produce section. To achieve the creaminess, Renees uses sour cream. We also use Kraft Creamy Cucumber. Pretty much the rest of the salad dressings are out for us... many contain mustard, or egg, sesame, etc., but I'm happy to know of 2 we can use! I just remembered another dip we can safely use that is free of sesame... Helluva Good Dip - can you find this in the U.S.? It's not really a salad dressing, but a dip, however, I suppose you could thin it out a little and try it as a salad dressing? Don't you find you have to get very creative? It's kind of fun sometimes, and so satisfying when you "invent" a new food for your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 pm 

Thank you both. My son is allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, treenuts and sesame but his dairy looks like it will be outgrown sometime soon. So, maybe in the future we can use the Renees and I assume Hellava good dip has dairy. I *know* have have seen it in stores but we have moved many times and I can't remember where I saw it.

Thanks for the tip on Kraft. They do not have to label for sesame in the States and they don't, either. I'm very interested in the kind of info you gave me. I think that many products have better labeling in Canada and I wish I could see what they say and compare.

Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:55 pm 

I'm sorry, Lakeswimr, that the salad dressings I named are not good for your son with his dairy allergies. It's so complicated with multiple food allergies - what works for one individul is often so specific, that it cannot work for another. When you make your own bread, do you have a dairy substitute for the milk? All my bread recipes call for dry skim milk powder, so I've wondered what the dairy-allergic would do to substitute. Would you use soy milk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:59 pm 

Well, I'm thinking he is outgrowing the dairy relatively soon. :wink: So I will file that info away. :)

I make bread in the bread machine (and rarely out of the bread machine) with a few recipes that do not call for dairy. One I use soy margarine. The others do not call for powdered milk or other forms of dairy. The one I use most often calls for water, salt, sugar, white and wheat flour, oil, gluten, and yeast. Easy as pie.

Another calls for similar ingredients and maple syrup and another uses similar ingredients and honey. One of the maple syrup or honey recipes is the one which calls for butter and where I use soy margarine. Can't remember which.

I have lots of quick bread and muffin and that type of recipes that are fine for my son, too.

I used to make Chinese-style scallion pancakes often and also biscuits, etc. but really, I got tired of it. I cook a lot anyway and so using alternative grains and brown rice pasta is easier than making bread all the time.

Plus now I can buy New Berlin Bakery stuff and even though it costs a lot I get it ever other week just because DS likes it and it is easy. If it were just for me I'd skip it.

Maybe we should start a favorite cookbook thread. :)

Post subject: Re: Salad dressing?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:07 am 

lakeswimr wrote:
I make our salad dressing because I haven't found any brands yet that are for sure sesame X contam-free. Does anyone know of any brands? I know, making my own is way healthier, etc but it would be nice to have the convenience of a pre-made salad dressing.

I did use Seeds of Change in the past but stopped because they could not tell me *anything* reguarding sesame.

I came to this board to specifically ask this question in a post. How delighted I am that it has been asked! I think I have been having reactions with salad dressing, and I'd like to find a safe one to have at work and at home. I live in the US. I honestly do not have time to make my own everything. I don't. I work long hours. My DS is peanut allergic and a vegetarian--and I'm also allergic to shellfish. I'd like to find a salad dressing to buy. Until then, I just put shredded cheese on my salad, and I'm fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:43 pm 

an idea if you can't find salad dressing---what about pouring a bit of olive oil and then pouring a bit of vinegar on and perhaps some salt and honey? (you wouldn't even necessarily have to mix the ingredients or anything...you could pour everything on separately and then kind of toss the salad.) That's what I used to do in the days when I was still able to eat a bit of raw lettuce (although I'd generally pass on the honey on account of severe pollen allergies).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:19 am 

My youngest son (no known food allergies, he's just really picky) doesn't like any salad dressings. He either sprinkles on some vinegar, or some lemon juice. Sometimes adds a bit of salt.

That's how I used to eat salad until I was in my twenties - again not due to allergies, I was just a picky eater.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:02 pm 

:D

I haven't eaten salad dressing for months because of my newfound sesame allergy. I ran across this site for purchasing sesame-free dressing at another allergy site, peanutallergy.com.

www.allergygrocer.com.

Do a search under condiments, and you'll find invidual packets of Annie's dressings that are practically everything-free. Very cool. For those of us in the US, this is a good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:41 pm 

I'm glad you found a place to get safe dressing, McCobbre!! We too make a lot of home-made food, but I know what it's like to want to be able to have some pre-made stuff.

By the way, this site was also mentioned in the Resources forum:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1129

It looks like they also ship to Canada, for those who are interested.

K.