You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:53 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some confusing and conflicting information about soy (including from the medical community). I'm hoping you can help!

Is it safe for someone (who is anaphylactic to soy) to eat soy oil, soybean oil (hydrogenated or not), and soy lecithin?

I've heard that it is perfectly safe, and I've also heard that any products containing soy should be avoided.

What is your experience with this?

Many thanks in advance! I'm soy ( :wink: ) glad to have this forum for support.

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm 

When my oldest was allergic to soy, our allergist said that soy(bean) oil and soy lecithin should be okay. My understanding from other forums (aka "the trenches") is that that is generally the case, HOWEVER not everyone with a soy allergy can tolerate soy oil and soy lecithin. So it's not clearcut.

And I guess if anaphylaxis is an issue, that makes it even harder to "experiment" and see what a person can tolerate. Obviously you don't want to bring on anaphylactic shock...

So maybe that's why you're getting confusing messages - because it really isn't black & white. Depends on the person.

I know that Gwen, the AL editor, is allergic to soy. Maybe she has some insight into this.

Wish I had more to help you with!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:42 pm 

On the question of whether I should avoid soy-derived vitamin E, my allergist simply said yes. But since there is literally no multi vitamin out there that is allergen-free for me, he said I could try a multi vitamin in his office to watch for a reaction. My own sense of my soy allergy: I've had milder reactions to lecithin. I don't react to vitamin E. But I know that some people do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 am 

See the latest Allergic Living (Fall 2006) on page 65 - ask the dietitian - for some info about soy allergy. It says:

Quote:
Also, soy is frequently used as a component of another ingredient, such as:

Lecithin - an additive that can be made from egg, soy or conr, though the source is often no cited on a label.

Soybean oil - reactions to highly refined soybean oil are rare because it contains little or no soy, but it's still best to avoid it.

Unfortunately it doesn't give any direction on whether soy lecithin may be safe for some of those with soy allergy or not.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Supi,

In Allergic Living's Spring 2005 issue, Dr. Wade Watson addressed the question of soy oil and lecithin. He advised:

Quote:
While some studies have suggested that there is not enough soy protein in either of these products to caue a reaction, there are in fact reports of reactions to both soy oil and soy lecithin. For this reason, I recommend strict avoidance of all soy-based products for individuals allergic to soy.

Dr. Watson acknowledges that his is the more conservative approach. If the soy oil is refined, there should be only minuscule amounts of protein remaining, and other allergists say that, for most soy-allergic individuals, this is not enough protein to cause a reaction.

So there aren't cut and dried answers - seems to depend on the individual and level of sensitivity. You'd be best to follow your own allergist's recommendation. Mine, like Watson, takes the conservative approach and tells me to avoid ingesting any soy products, since I've anaphylaxed with soy.

However, I have not needed to avoid tocopheryls and vitamin E in skin products - have never had any reactions via the skin.

Hope that helps. /Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:00 pm 

Here's a reprinted article from the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology with some interesting info. on soy allergy:

http://allergyadvisor.com/hidden2.htm

Quote:
Although soybean oil was initially thought to be safe for soy-sensitive individuals,42 it is now evident that soy protein may occur in soybean oil.43 Thus the allergenicity of soybean oil would depend on its purity, which in turn depends on the extraction process. Recent evidence has demonstrated that although oxidized soybean oil may not show allergenicity, proteins in soybeans are capable of interacting with oxidized lipid to form products that are allergenic to soybean-sensitive patients.44 Indeed, Hiyama et al.45 report a case of urticaria associated with paren-teral nutrition with an intravenous 10% lipid emulsion containing a soybean oil base. Such reactions, however, appear to be uncommon, and there are very few reports of this nature in the literature.
(emphasis mine)

It sounds to me like this suggests that people who are highly allergic can react not only to proteins but to compounds formed by proteins "interacting with oxidized lipid"???

Gwen, like you I don't avoid vitamin E in skin products--I do wonder though if that could sensitize me more to soy. I would avoid it if it weren't for the fact that soy is in everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:34 pm 

Hello Karen, Gwen and Helen,

Thanks very much for your responses. It's my little guy that I'm concerned about, and I think I'll take the conservative approach as well.

I appreciate the time you all took to write. It helps!

Enjoy a great day,

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:27 pm 

As far as a skin reaction to soy - I can testify that it's possible... in fact- it's how I discovered I had allergies.

I went to a spa for a pampering session and had a chocolate body wrap. Yes, it's as good as it sounds - warm, chocolate drizzled on you and wrapped in a heated little blanket. Well did I ever swell up. Rash and hives all over.

From that point onward, I've been very skeptical of even my own allergist's comments that soy oil or other derivitives are fine - both inside and on the outside!