You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:45 pm 

Anyone know of a safe soy-free, grain free rice milk on the market?

I noticed that Rice Dream contains a bit of barley, Ryza is made by So Nice so I would worry about cross contamination as is true with Yu and any other rice drinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:59 pm 

I think you'll find that most rice beverage companies also make soy or almond or other beverages. I wouldn't assume cross-contamination without checking with the company. The beverages might not even be made in the same factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

It's not rice based but Vances darifree is spy and grain free.
http://www.vancesfoods.com/darifree.htm
Quote:
Maltodextrin (from potatoes), Natural Flavors (no MSG), Crystalline Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, colored with Titanium Dioxide (an inert mineral), Carrageenan, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), dl Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin K1, Thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Biotin.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:50 pm 

One of my sisters has problems with Rice Dream as well because of the barley, and she has reacted to other rice milks (and is allergic to soy), but she's okay with President's choice rice milk . I think she buys the unflavoured kind (but am not sure about this.) I'd still check with the company about the soy issue . . . it doesn't contain soy, but I'm not sure about cross contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:08 am 

Helen wrote:
One of my sisters has problems with Rice Dream as well because of the barley,

I never realized Rice Dream had barley in it until I've read it here! Thanks!! My baby girl is allergic to barley, and I was about to use that in recipes because I ran out of the Natura Rice Milk! :shock: Why can't they put that barley statement on the same side as the ingredients!!!! And where does it come from? Safflower Oil or the Rice itself? Anyone know?

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:09 am 

Helen wrote:

I never realized Rice Dream had barley in it until I've read it here! Thanks!! My baby girl is allergic to barley, and I was about to use that in recipes because I ran out of the Natura Rice Milk! :shock: Why can't they put that barley statement on the same side as the ingredients!!!! And where does it come from? Safflower Oil or the Rice itself? Anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:02 pm 

kdufour wrote:
Helen wrote:

Hi, not sure I understand the question. Where does the barley come from? Or where does the rice "milk" come from?

Glad I could help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:17 pm 

Helen wrote:
kdufour wrote:
Helen wrote:

Hi, not sure I understand the question. Where does the barley come from? Or where does the rice "milk" come from?

Glad I could help!

I guess my question is more "where is the barley hidden"? From the ingredients lists (Brown Rice, Safflower Oil, Water (if I remember correctly)), could I have known there was barley in there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:58 pm 

I recall there being a number of ingredients there. If you still have the package and type out the list, I could give the question a shot. . . the barley is not in the safflower oil or the rice . .it is in one of the other ingredients.

But you're right--who would have thought barley would be in rice milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:28 am 

This is the actual ingredients list:
Filtered Water, Certified Organic Brown Rice (Partially Milled), Expeller Processed High Oleic Safflower Oil, Sea Salt.

This is a quote I found from this Website's Q&A about Rice Dream:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... e/252.html

"It is possible, however, that the finished product may contain minute residual traces of barley protein from an enzyme used during processing."

I guess that explains it, but it's annoying none the less!!! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 pm 

We use Good Karma rice milk. Found it when we discovered that Pacific :evil: has started adulterating their almond milk products with soy lecithin. We avoid soy and gluten.