You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:46 am 

Hi..greetings from NY. We are new to the world of allergies. It seems my kids are unique to be allergic to all of these foods (soybean,egg, dairy, nuts,bananas,wheat and shellfish)?? One nutritionist told me it may have been all of the toxins my husband and I inhaled from 9-11,prior to my pregnancy, that has caused such severe allergies...???
I'm finding it hard to get "hints" from others with the same plight...just looking for nutritional tips...the boys are very low in calcium as most products have either dairy or soy, and meals are impossible....any info or direction would be greatly appreciated...thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm 

Hi JulieR -

I've already posted about calcium elsewhere, but just wanted to officially welcome you to the forum. I've sent you a PM about a possible other place to get info about calcium.

Take care - and by the way, check the signatures of some of our forum members. Your kids are unique, but there are others here who are just as as unique!!!

K.

Post subject: Thanks again...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:04 pm 

Karen-- I will give it a try..thank you for your help. What a wonderful forum this is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm 

Hi Julie,

I hear you about the challenges of multiple food allergies. It is one that we deal with daily as well. Things do get easier with time as you find what they can eat and focus on that as opposed to what they can't eat. Whenever I tell people about our allergies, the first response is always "what does he eat"? When we start rhyming it off, they realize that it is plenty (fruits, veggies, meats, homemade breads, pasta, rice, beans,...) and typically very healthy and nutritious. That is if we don't count skittles and chips!!!

I do think that having wheat alongside your many other allergies probably makes things even more challenging. Give yourself time and believe that you can get through this.

As for dairy, we use fortified rice milk. We use it in absolutely everything in the same way you would regular milk. It does not contain the protein that regular milk does, however he eats plenty of meat and other protein rich foods that I don't worry about it.

I have a friend with a son with multiple food allergies including wheat. She has found it difficult but is impressed with the variety that it has brought to their diet. She makes her own bread with a variety of flours such as quinoa, sourghum and others I can't recall.

Once you find substitute flours, you have your substitute milk and egg replacer, you can make almost all of the same baking as before. Muffins, pancakes...

Hang in there, and take it one step at a time.

Denise