You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Admin

ALLERGY ALERT - UNDECLARED WALNUT IN CHOICES MARKETS CRANBERRY LEMON SPLASH MUFFINS

OTTAWA, August 21, 2009 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Choices Markets are warning people with allergies to walnut not to consume the Choices Markets brand Cranberry Lemon Splash Muffins described below. The affected product contains walnut which is not declared on the label.

The affected product, Choices Markets brand Cranberry Lemon Splash Muffins, is sold in 600 g packages bearing UPC 227231 706994.

All best before dates up to and including AUG.26.09 (August 26, 2009) are affected.

This product is sold at Choices Markets stores in British Columbia.

There has been one reported illness associated with the consumption of this product.

Consumption of this product may cause a serious or life-threatening reaction in persons with allergies to walnuts.

The manufacturer, Choices Markets, Delta, BC, is voluntarily recalling the affected product from the marketplace. The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

For more information, consumers and industry can call one of the following numbers:

Choices Markets at 604-952-2287;

CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 / TTY 1-800-465-7735 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday).

For information on tree nuts, one of the nine most common food allergens, visit the Food Allergens web page at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... noie.shtml.

For information on receiving recalls by e-mail, or for other food safety facts, visit our web site at www.inspection.gc.ca.

-30-

Media Inquiries:

Choices Markets
604-952-2287

CFIA Media Relations
613-773-6600

ALERTE À L'ALLERGIE - PRÉSENCE NON DÉCLARÉE DE NOIX DE GRENOBLE DANS LES MUFFINS « CRANBERRY LEMON SPLASH » DE MARQUE CHOICES MARKETS

OTTAWA, le 21 août 2009 - L’Agence canadienne d’inspection des aliments (ACIA) et Choices Markets avisent les personnes allergiques aux noix de Grenoble de ne pas consommer les muffins « Cranberry Lemon Splash » de marque Choices Markets décrits ci-dessous. En effet, ce produit contient des noix de Grenoble alors que l’étiquette n’en fait pas mention.

Le produit touché, les muffins « Cranberry Lemon Splash » de marque Choices Markets, est vendu en emballages de 600 g portant le CUP 227281 706994.

Toutes les dates « meilleur avant » allant jusqu’au 26 août 2009 (« AUG.26.09 ») inclusivement sont touchées par la présente mise en garde.

Ce produit est vendu dans les marchés Choices Markets en Colombie-Britannique.

Un cas de maladie associé à la consommation de ce produit a été signalé.

La consommation de ce produit peut déclencher une réaction grave, parfois mortelle, chez les personnes allergiques aux noix de Grenoble.

Le fabricant, Choices Markets, de Delta (C.-B.), retire volontairement du marché le produit visé. L’ACIA surveille l’efficacité du rappel.

Pour de plus amples renseignements, les consommateurs et les gens de l’industrie peuvent composer l’un des numéros suivants :

Choices Markets au 604-952-2287;

l’ACIA au 1-800-442-2342/ATS 1-800-465-7735, du lundi au vendredi de 8 h à 20 h (heure de l’Est).

Pour obtenir des renseignements sur les noix, l’un des neuf allergènes alimentaires les plus courants, consultez la page Web consacrée aux allergènes alimentaires à : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/fs ... noif.shtml.

Pour savoir comment recevoir les rappels par courrier électronique ou pour obtenir d'autres renseignements sur la salubrité des aliments, visitez notre site Web à l'adresse www.inspection.gc.ca.

- 30 -

Questions des médias :

Choices Markets
604-952-2287

Relations avec les médias
Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments
613-773-6600

The FOODRECALLS_RAPPELSALIMENTS archives all list postings at:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/cor ... toce.shtml

You can join or leave a variety of e-mail lists managed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency using the on-line form found at:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/too ... sube.shtml

La liste FOODRECALLS_RAPPELSALIMENTS archive tous les enregistrements de listes à :
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/co ... tocf.shtml

Vous pouvez vous inscrire à une variété de listes courriels administrées par l'Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments au moyen du formulaire en ligne affiché à l'adresse suivante : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/to ... subf.shtml.
Le même formulaire vous permet de retrancher votre nom de ces listes.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:15 pm 

Yikes - I shop there quite a lot. However, I avoid all their bakery items because they have told me they are all 'may contain traces' for tree nuts and peanuts.

Do you happen to know, when they talk about 'undeclared walnut', do they mean there are actual walnuts in the ingredients, or is it an undeclared 'may contain traces of walnuts'? I'd be really disappointed in this company if they actually put walnuts in there on purpose and failed to list them in the ingredient label. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

That would mean "contains" walnut, as the CFIA warnings will say "may contain" if it's just that.

Note that it says:

Quote:
The manufacturer, Choices Markets, Delta, BC, is voluntarily recalling the affected product from the marketplace. The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

So Choices did mess up on the label, but at least issued the recall and reported the problem to CFIA, so it could issue a warning. I also think of them as among the more allergy-aware places to shop in Vancouver. Let's hope it's just a one-time thing - and that nobody with nut allergy eats one of these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:03 pm 

Thanks for clarifying, Gwen. Yes, they do have several allergen-free products on their shelves. I try not to go there too often, though, because I manage to spend at least $200 each time, and that's with me buying most fresh produce and meats elsewhere!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

I know what you mean.

Whenever I'm in one of these stores with lots of foods I can eat and skin prods. I can use that I get a little carried away.

Wonderful to find but ... ka-ching.