* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Milk in Celeb Margarine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:59 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Those with allergies to milk protein should avoid eating Celeb brand margarine and return it to the vendor where it was purchased. The province's ministry of agriculture released a notice that Celeb margarine, in tubs of 454 grams, from lot number 2010 DE 05 L1 LF-1820 could be contaminated with milk protein. The health risks to those with allergies are low because the amount of milk protein found was very small, the statement said. The margarine remains lactose free and safe for those with lactose intolerances.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/M ... z0zDVxsIdB

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:09 pm 

Did anaphylaxis Canada send out a warning about this problem? Does anyone know? If they did I missed it. I am trying to find out more information about this problem through PC now and was not happy about their response. A manager is going to call me back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Anaphylaxis Canada puts out the warnings that come from CFIA. This is a jurisdiction issue. CFIA is federal and so, oversees products that are sold in more than one province. Each province is responsible for overseeing products sold only within that province.

Since this particular product was only sold in Quebec, it was not reported through CFIA which only reports for recalls that cross provincial borders. If you are in Quebec or shop in Quebec, you need to sign up for alerts from MAPAQ.

I am looking into who each other province and territory should sign up with to ensure that we have access to all necessary alerts. I will post as I know more...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 pm 

But I'm in Ontario and the margarine in my local store was removed from the shelf. So I am confused about what happened in this case. It would seem that this problem went beyond Quebec.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm,maybe you should contact CFIA and ask them. Perhaps the store got confused - when Fleischmman's was recalled a few years back one store kept putting the product out!