You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:23 pm 

Well, I have to say I am suprised and impressed. At a birthday party today (scary, I know) they handed out chocolate ice cream cups and I read the label and Great Value listed each tree nut that is processed in the same facility. I can't remember what all there was, but I know it said hazelnut, almond, peanuts, soy, etc... I think this is great - especially for those allergic to some tree nuts and not others...I don't know how well they do on there other foods, but I was really digging it (even though we couldn't eat it, lol!)

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 pm 

We've found a few Great Value products that had excellent labelling. I think some have a peanut-free symbol to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:13 am 

Impressed. I finally found a bag of coconut that does not contain traces of other nuts. I compared it against all of the other brand products and saw how carefully things were labelled.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:52 pm 

I love Great Value brand, and was surprised with their labeling. I babysit for my little cousin sometimes who is PA/TN, and when I saw they had chocolate brownies and PUDDING in their cabinet I couldn't believe it! Then I read the allergy statement. Clear, easy to understand, and to the point. I checked several other items next time I went to the store. Was very pleased, and happy to know he can eat brownies when everyone else is having brownies, too!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 am 

ginger wrote:
Impressed. I finally found a bag of coconut that does not contain traces of other nuts. I compared it against all of the other brand products and saw how carefully things were labelled.

Did you call about the coconut?

I called to find out what the company policy is with regard to labeling "may contain" on the Great Value products and I was told they don't have one.

According to the CSR, people with food allergies would never assume a product was safe just because other products by the company list a warning. In her experience people would call. I pointed out that those who assume it's safe wouldn't be calling her would they....and she said she'd pass along my concerns. (I doubt it.)

Really not impressed with Great Value any more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:17 pm 

Anna Marie I have been told the same thing. I don't buy their great value any longer as it might be safe *but* they have put enough doubt into my mind it isn't worth taking the chance.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish