You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 am 

I contacted Breyer's because I am trying to find an ice cream dd can eat. I let her have it this time (before they responded), but I don't know how happy I am with the response....
They say some obvious things like, our policy is to label if it contains the top 8 allergens - well duh goofus, that's the law!!! And I think it's weird that they say if any "allergens" have been used then they give it a double wash. Well, it's ice cream - it all has milk - so do they double wash it every time???? I just think that the response sounds good, but I wonder how much this person really knows......So.....here it is:

Quote:
Hello Ashley,

Thank you for writing!

It is Good Humor-Breyers policy that when any of the eight most common
allergens (milk, eggs, fish, wheat, tree nuts, peanuts, soybeans and
crustaceans) occur in any of our product (including Klondike and
Popsicle brand products), they will be listed on the ingredient label in
plain language.

Most importantly, if any of our products contain any type of nut or nut
by-product, it will be listed on the ingredient panel. We do not use
the terms "All Natural" or "Artificial Flavorings" to hide the existence
of any allergens.

We also have special handling procedures for all allergenic ingredients
used in our manufacturing facilities. GHB does not have dedicated
production lines in our manufacturing facilities for product containing
allergens. However, we do have a very strict allergen-handling policy.
After manufacturing a product, the machine is disassembled and flushed
with a hot sanitizing solution for several hours followed by a hot water
rinse. If a product containing a known allergen has been produced, the
equipment receives a double process of the sanitation and rinse process.

Kind regards,
Your friends at Good Humor-Breyers
dk

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 pm 

I'm pretty sure the letter was a cut and paste standard, ie not written by the person who sent it. As far as I know, labelling is up to the discretion of the manufacturer, and they don't HAVE to list the top allergens (I might be wrong). I personally don't trust their products, and stick to Chapmans peanut free or homemade. Before finding out about DS's allergy, we did have their ice creams and didn't have a problem, but it's too risky, in my humble opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 pm 

FYI, Becky - The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) requires food manufacturers to disclose in plain language whether products contain any of the top eight food allergens.

BUT - they don't have to label if it was made on the same equipment or made in the same facility. :( Yet!

It does look like a nonsensical cut and paste standard. But you would think that these companies would hire someone more educated about allergies to write the original document. It seems silly to think that a company would hide allergens behind "all natural". That doesn't even make any sense to me....I am glad to hear the recommendation of Chapman's - I have never heard of them, but I will definitely check them out! Thanks!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:25 pm 

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant that the 'may contains' or 'processed on shared equipment' is optional, not that listing ingredients is optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:04 pm 

ashley5473 wrote:
FYI, Becky - The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) requires food manufacturers to disclose in plain language whether products contain any of the top eight food allergens.

...I am glad to hear the recommendation of Chapman's - I have never heard of them, but I will definitely check them out! Thanks!

FYI - The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA) is only valid in the US, not in Canada.

Chapman's is a Canadian product - you likely will not find it the US. They do have a store locator if anyone wants to check its availability in Canada:

http://www.chapmans.ca/storelocator.asp

Karen

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:19 pm 

Wow, that is unfortunate for you guys (that there is no falcpa law) - not that it really makes me feel safe anyway....all the time companies aren't labeling appropriately :-(

I just wish that instead of these outdated "cut and paste" letters they would have some that were better thought out and more specific. I am getting to the point where I feel that these allergies are getting to be so mainstream. but then these major corporations have these answers that just are not acceptable to me. I usually am just looking for a answer about whether the same lines are used and if so, how are they cleaned, and are they tested. But I will ask a question as simple as, "Can you tell me if they are manufactured in the same facility" and the person will say or I will get a reply email that says, "If the top 8 are in the product, it will be clearly labeled." I just feel like saying DUHHHH!!! lol And I know they are doing the best they can...well maybe they are...:-P But I am just so frustrated about it right now....I feel like it's one thing that I have to go through all this for every food that we eat and then I can't even get a straight answer....I would much rather be told, "I don't know"

.....sorry just venting! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:58 am 

By the way - Canada's labelling laws are in the process of being updated, but sadly it's taking much longer to happen than it should (in my opinion).

For a discussion, see here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=4575

For some more info: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=187

I agree with you about how frustrating labeling can be... It seems that the more questions you ask, the more you realize that sometimes we are really only getting part of the info that we need. Ignorance really is bliss when it comes to food labelling. (Risky bliss though.)

K.