You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:24 pm 

WOW WOW WOW!! That is the best way I can describe the Halloween event at our mall this morning. As I wrote at Easter on this thread it was difficult for our DS to participate as not only was almost all the food unsafe, it was , well, all food.
I have been in contact a few times since Easter with the marketing coordinator for our mall and she was very open and empathetic to my suggestions regarding the possibility of having peanut free foods and non food items. I even stopped in her office once just to say hi in person and chat.

This morning I was just amazed at how much she had done to accomidate those with allergies. I tell you when I ran into her at the mall today she got a HUGE hug. :huggy

Firstly, our mall hands out a printed list of the stores participating in the Trick or Treat event with a map of the mall. On the map this year was a red star for stores participating and a yellow star for the stores who as well as participating with a food treat also had food had non-food items for those with multiple allergies. The reason the map actually stated the yellow stars were for those with multiple allergies and not allergies in general was - get this- she arranged it so the ENTIRE mall was only to hand out peanut free treats. The mall administration actually bought the treats and then the stores purchased them from the mall. :banana
So some treats were now safe for DS but for for the treats that still weren't safe I knew there were also stores to ask for a non food item.

It gets even better. I was expecting a sticker or a kids tattoo, no biggie any kids would love that. But to my surprise the mall co-ordinator had shopped herself at the dollar store and supplied each of the stores wishing to have a supply of non-food items. The goodies were wonderful, a note pad, a toque with a skeleton on it, a witch crazy straw, a tiny plastic pumpkin with a handle on it which DS has not let go of since her first received it and said 'OOOHHH COOOOOL'. He is napping in bed still holding onto it right now. :lol:

I never expected this and boy did I ever thank the stores which participated. One store I thought had non food items didn't and I was emphasizing it was ok but the store worker felt so badly she took a tiny toy from her own shelf and gave it to our son. She felt extra badly she said as her son who is grown now had a peanut allergy growing up and she felt that she should have thought of food free items herself.
What shocked the mall coordinator was when I let her know that some stores had run out of non food items. I said that this was a good thing and made me happy as it showed there was a great need for allergy safe treats. I imagine those kids with a soy or milk allergy were very happy and pleasantly surprised today.

It really does show that you need to speak up. If others aren't aware of an issue there is nothing they can do to change, become more inclusive. For those who really take the effort to accomidate those with allergies.... :thanksign
:happydance :happydance :happydance

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Last edited by BC2007 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:01 pm 

What a lovely story - thanks for sharing, and thanks for being 'that mom' who made it all happen! It IS amazing how great some people can be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

M, That's incredible. Just thrilled for you. :happydance

I love it when people surprise us - in the good way.

Congratulations to you, too.
Look at how much awareness you created!