You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 pm 

In our local stores, until the Cookies & Cream we have never seen the same flavour in the carton (peanut&treenut safe) and the tub.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm 

mharasym wrote:
They have 22 flavours of peanut/tree nut and gluten free ice cream in clearly marked containers - and that doesn't even include the novelties. 2 Ltr Carton = safe. 2 ltr Tub = not safe.
I'm not sure how an allergic community could ask for more.

For months, our Giant Tiger only had the tub of Cookies and Cream. It now has the carton (nut-safe) and it is incredible! :happydance

The reason it bothers me with the duplicate flavours is this scenario: A child with tree nut allergies frequents a store that only has the carton version and they buy it, enjoy it and keep buying it. Child with allergies is at a friend's house and is told "We have Chapman's Cookies and Cream ice cream. Have you had that one at home?". The ice cream is served away from the kids so the child does not see that it is a different container and in the excitement just hears "Chapman's" and "cookies and cream" and has it.

We find that lots of people know that Chapman's is safe for treenut/peanut allergies but NOT that they have two lines of their ice cream. I know that the child with allergies should still see the package but kids are kids and adults don't remember everything either...

Hence, the reason that I don't like the duplicate flavours especially in a very popular flavour for kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:03 pm 

I agree completely walooet, there shouldn't be duplication. Also, I think the little red swirl isn't enough, a completely different colour package for pn/tn free would be better, imho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 pm 

paige H wrote:
So I went to the grocery store ready to buy the Cookies and Cream Ice Cream today, no such luck. Now Sobeys has plenty of Chapman Ice Cream but did not have that flavor. :(

I will have to check Wal-Mart and see if they carry the Cookies and Cream. I see that the Premium has the cookie Dough (Would love that one) but even if they made it nut free it would still be like the chocolate chip/ mint chip.....it has coconut in it. :(

Paige - our Sobey's now has a wider range of Chapman's tree-nut/peanut safe ice creams - including Cookies and Cream :bouncygreen

Do you mean that the chocolate chip mint has actual coconut in it? Or coconut oil?? I just checked the cookies and cream carton and unless coconut has a name unknown to me there is no coconut. It is dangerously good...