You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:36 pm 

Grandin Bakery in St. Albert, Alberta is completely peanut and tree nut free. All ingredients are bought from safe sources. They bake breads, rolls, cakes, cookies, muffins, everything! :thumbsup

Most of their breads are made without eggs and dairy, but may contain as they are made in the same facility as other things that contain. Hey, it's a step ahead of most bakeries in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm 

I assume you have really looked into their claims and it sounds like they may be really following through. I know a few years ago they had the same claim as being "nut free" and that confused many people because they may have been peanut free but they were most certainly NOT tree nut free at the time. I do hope this is true as most bakerys use nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 am 

Are you talking about the same bakery? It's possible there policy has changed over the years; they don't have peanuts or tree nuts (or traces) in their bakery now. Since February I have called twice and talked to the bakery staff again in person and everyone confirmed their statement. I called again this morning to verify again. I am ana to tree nuts, so this was my biggest concern. I was very pleased with their knowledge about allergies and felt comfortable with everything they said. And, most importantly, I haven't reacted to anything from there. :)

They have imported goods thay may contain nuts, but all are in pre-sealed factory packaging on a shelf separate from their open bakery items.

http://www.grandinbakery.ca/3801/5601.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:58 am 

Hi spacecanada that is the bakery I am talking about but I have not been there in a very long time. I use to just buy cookies or other little things for my children and I did not even want to touch the debit machine with my fingers as they had many tree nuts. (butter horn pastery with almonds on it and pecan pies... ) at that time I had heard someone say they were nut free! I thought they may have been Peanut Free but not tree nut free thats for sure. I cannot say what they do now but as for the past I had lost trust in them because they use to put advertisements in the local paper that I found a little miss leading about the p/n-t/n not being a problem there. As far as bread or buns (not cookies, cakes, or pies) I like the local cobs. I have also found not all cobs are created equal. Some do use nuts. This location here had in previous years used nuts at Christmas but did not this past year. Not a good place if you have an allergy to seeds though.
p.s. don't think I am saying Grandin Bakery is not safe today. That is not the case, I am only saying they were not ok in the past. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Well, their website certainly extoles their peanut/tree nut-free quality.

Is there a member of this forum, who lives within the calling area and who is willing to call them and ask them if this is still a fact?

Grandin Bakery, #12-11 Bellerose Drive, St. Albert, AB T8N 5C9
Phone: 780-459-6560

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am 

Sorry if I've created a controversy; I didn't mean to. I live nearby and questioned them fairly thoroughly a few times this year. I'd love for someone else to call and report back with their findings. I apologise if I've made a mistake. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

You haven't, this is the kind of issue we often get. Do you trust a company? Is their website up to date? It's like a bomb expert asking which wire do I cut? When we're talking about life threatening reactions, these are very real anxieties.

Is there someone else who can ask the question? I'm sure we have other members or lurkers who live in the area. :popcorn

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:14 pm 

Oh spacecanada it would be me who put the wrench in the wheel. I was only questioning them from the past. They may be perfectly fine now. Since I did not trust them in years past I just wanted anyone who was going there now to be thorough with them. I only have enough time to quickly be on this site as I should be packing..... I would want to go in and not only call but I am sure spacecanada If you have been in you have a clear understanding of what they are all about now. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm 

Wish I did live closer because we would love to have a fresh bakery that was free of tree nuts. We have an amazing one that makes cookies, cakes and cupcakes but not breads or rolls.

Do they have any familiy/management who want to move to Manitoba? :pipe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:59 pm 

Walooet - KUB Bakery in Transcona is peanut/tree nut free (last time I checked) - except the german chocolate cake icing they make in one corner on a stove . . .
They have cookies, buns, bread, cinnamon bread and buns that are awesome. We buy it fresh directly from the bakery . . .Regent just east of Plessis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:56 pm 

We have used them recently but I was focused on peanuts. My Mom lives in St Albert: I'll scope it out for tree nuts next time I visit her.

The other bakery to try in the Edmonton area is Fuss cupcakes: http://www.fusscupcakes.com/

They do small birthday cakes and, you guessed it, cupcakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:40 pm 

Grandin Bakery was recently featured in Canadian Living's list of best butter tarts in Canada, along with their PN/TN-free status. I love this place!

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cook ... _tarts.php