You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Starbucks HOF/RFI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 pm 

I went to Starbucks today and got my usual soy peppermint hot choc. Unfortunatly when I tried it is was not a hot choc but some sort of toffee/ caramel drink. I went straight to the closest Starbucks to complain and to get my drink made properly. While at this Starbucks the person making my new drink determined the drink I had been given was a toffee nut :frightened . I immediately started freaking out! I explained to her that I am allergic to nuts that that it was extremely dangerous for drinks to be mixed up so badly especially when I ordered it I told them about my allergy and was assured that my drink would be made in a fresh mixer just to be safe. I was informed that the nut flavoring is just that, flavoring and that I was in no danger. I was assured that this mistake would be addressed by the manager and would not happen again. I was also given a coupon for a free drink the next time I go in with the apologies of the manager. I am very impressed on how it was handled and I am very happy that they do not use real nuts to flavor their drinks. (we need a smily wiping sweat off forehead ;)

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

Post subject: Re: Starbucks HOF/RFI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:18 am 

Wow, that would give me quite a fright. I'm happy it ended well for you. I sometimes order soy hot chocolates from Starbucks and they have been really good at understanding allergies, letting me see the ingredient lists, and using fresh containers when mixing my beverage.

I have heard that some almond flavourings are made from peach, and I am curious to learn what other 'nut' flavourings could be made from. I would still avoid them, regardless; just the word 'nut' makes me freak out.

Post subject: Re: Starbucks HOF/RFI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:32 pm 

I have also had a mix up with my hot drink there, they did apologize and made me a new one. After that I feel better about going in as this happened in drive through. I also did not have any flavor just a plain latte. I only get plain latte too afraid of mix up on flavor. It would be nice to know if their flavors are the real thing or not. Not that I want to have them but the chance of cross contamination would go right down. I do think with the summer drinks it is coconut milk that they use.
Since they added coconut to their summer drinks (frapps) I have avoided them this summer. Wanting to find a summer drink I have been going to "second cup" their icepresso chiller is great, I am a convert it comes out of a machine like a slurpie and tastes the same every time (I cannot say the same about my former favorite, mocha frappe) if i remember correctly their are three ing in it sugar, espresso and milk or cream, you can then add a flavor if you would like, I never do so I feel very comfortable getting this drink that they just pour into cup but not mix.