You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Dd and I are recouperating from a bad cold that had her off school most of last week. Too ill to risk a family celebration of dh's uncle who turned 100 on Feb 29Th (or 25 if you only count the true birthdays!) She was really feeling low about not seeing all of her cousins. I was glad we didn't go because I know it would have been a lot of food and people in a small area... :frightened

I took dd shopping on Saturday to take her mind off things and to give us bit of exercise. One place that we went to was the Children's Placeand there was a table inside that was handing out cookies and punch. No special reason.

I tried to ignore it I mean, dd is 10 and understanding that some people just don't get it. We were having a special day just the two of us and we'd have cookies a little later on. I did snag some cute temporary tattoos. I helped my self to one of each design while telling them that we'd take a few of these as we couldn't enjoy the cookies.

When I got to the cashier, I notice a sign extoling how proud the Children's Place was of their ADOA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities) awareness.
Quote:
Purpose

1. Recognizing the history of discrimination against persons with disabilities in Ontario, the purpose of this Act is to benefit all Ontarians by,

(a) developing, implementing and enforcing accessibility standards in order to achieve accessibility for Ontarians with disabilities with respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment, buildings, structures and premises on or before January 1, 2025; and

(b) providing for the involvement of persons with disabilities, of the Government of Ontario and of representatives of industries and of various sectors of the economy in the development of the accessibility standards. 2005, c. 11, s. 1.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statut ... 5a11_e.htm

Grrrrrr
When every horizontal surface has either a cookie or crumbs on it, it creates anxiety and detracts from the shopping experience. :banghead I tracked down the store manager, not too hard as she was the one handing out cookies. :roll: I advised her of how confusing it is when you see the cookies and punch and then the signage about the AODA. I explained that we are dealing with severe FA which are life threatening and how the presence of cookies everywhere is a cause of concern and anxiety. She stated that this was something new, first time really and she'd pass on my feed back :damnedcomputer
She went on to state that Head Office had advised them to use peanut-free cookies. Oh, are they peanut-free I asked. No, apparently they were unable to find any peanut free cookies! :verymad I think I just turned and left at that point because I was trying very hard to be calm, cool and collected.

and yes, I will be sending off a little note to HO.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 pm 

:banghead REALLY, I mean even without allergies, they want food where they are selling new clothing.... The irony is so great there Susan, hope they actually do pass on your concerns. ANd why why why do people always think 'peanut' free is SAFE. :x

We in the Sears in St. Laurent Mall a few months ago and they had a DEEP FRYER set up 3 ft from the cashier in the MENS CLOTHING section. So not only do we have to worry about food, trace, deep fry oil in the air (what kind of oil is it) but REALLY, who wants to buy clothing STINKING of deep fry oil????????????

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish