You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 pm 

Ok, so I know many times we have had discussions about Laura Secord Chocolates. One issue was their goods (found at Costco and their in mall stores) which had a peanut free logo but the ingredients (usually in microscopic writing) said contained tree nuts. As we know this is actually correct labeling but SO confusing to those not living daily with allergies therefore so much room for disaster by say a well intentioned relative/caregiver.

Well HUGE HUGE GRIPE now...Laura Secord has many new 'packaged' products in their retail locations with a peanut free symbol. I remember us going through the issue about a year ago were they or were they not also tree nut free as their is no may contain for tree nuts (but is for other allergens). I write their H.O. when we were talking about this and was told 100% they are also tree nut safe.

We have bought a few of their chocolates (with pn free symbol) but only DD eats them and not DS...thank goodness!! For last week at one of their mall locations the manager over heard me saying something about pn/tn safe. She said not to buy them as she knew they were absolutely not tree nut safe??????? Again, there is may contain for I think soy,milk but not tree nuts on these packages so I wondered then why no may contain for tree nuts. Yet I trusted her as she seemed very aware of allergies and the may contain/trace issue. I told her what the Laura Secord H.O. had told me and she said she too was very curious now and wanted to get to the bottom of it.
She called me back and NO, they are NOT tree nut safe????????????????????????? WHAT!!! I said then they MUST put a may contain for tree nuts on it to comply with the new upcoming allergy legislation. She said 100% and would herself be contacting the H.O. to ensure that change is made.
All I have to say is I will never trust this company again...WAY to much back and forth on what is/isn't/is/isn't safe!!
I really thank people such as this manager who 'get it' and the severity of such mus-information!!

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 am 

I have known people who have worked for that company, they have a lot of communication issues. Their stuff is definitely may contain as their ice creams and their new chocolate bars have tree nuts in them and as far as I know their stuff is made all in the same place. I know I have been told several times that there is a risk of cross contamination at the store level.

So yes, they really need to work on their internal communication and education.