You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Hidden Corn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 am 

Aw, shucks: An appreciation for corn’s many uses

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/08/05/37 ... k=misearch#storylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:56 pm 

WOW! I knew it was in MANY things but I certainly do/did not know the extent of it. As it is not a food that I have to watch out for. I am sure it has to be the most difficult one to look out for. My hat goes out to all the corn allergic and I wish all food, and non food items could be clearly labeled. We NEED to know what we put in, on our bodies and what we are exposed to every day. Thanks Eldi for that article gonna go read it to my family now :swing

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:16 pm 

If anyone is having "phantom" (unexplained) corn reactions and uses a water softener, please check the type of water softener salt you are using. The ones that are called "System Saver" will contain corn derived citric acid. The NON-system saver kind is just salt...no citric acid. I learned this by calling Windsor Salt on the weekend because I noticed the bag I recently bought said something about "resin cleaning"...YUP...CORN DERIVED CITRIC ACID!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:47 pm 

More things to worry about when it comes to corn allergy:

Corn starch combined with polymers creates a super absorbent used in disposable diapers, sanitary napkins, bandages, etc.:

http://corn.org/products/starch/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:22 pm 

My daughter reacted to the disposable diaper that they put on her just minutes after she was born. She got a blistering rash. Only cloth from then on. She inherited my corn allergy. Also could not do disposable menstrual pads...I have been making them from cloth for her. Sooooo many things to consider with a corn allergy!

We both have quite a history with corn allergy. Our reactions seemed to "morph" over the years...always getting more sensitive and reactive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:07 pm 

Is anyone having "phantom" reactions (i.e. not able to track down what is causing a reaction)? It's probably your laundry detergent. Tide Free/HE is particularly BAD...as is pretty much all Tide.

"Corn-based ethanol has long been an ingredient in Tide; it was originally added to stabilize the detergent formula and improve washing performance."

http://www.takepart.com/article/2014/10 ... sier-earth

I now use ECOS Free and Clear (coconut based) and am not having any issues with it.

Last edited by Eldi on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:01 am 

Small animal bedding and cat litter are sometimes made from corn. (Or nut products!)

I don't have a corn allergy but ALWAYS look at laundry detergent as a culprit whenever full body itches are involved. (We use a more natural detergent too. Been reacting to Tide since I was a baby.) Or clothing that may be new and not washed yet. Store clothes and fabrics are coated with chemicals that are extreme irritating. I wonder what it is made of.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:11 pm 

If anyone is having "phantom" reactions that they cannot pin-point, please consider your spices. I recently had a horrible skin reaction (hives on my face, neck and chest) from one sprinkle of ground black pepper which was not the brand that I usually use (Simply Organic). I seem to remember from my research (years ago) that corn maltodextrin is used in spices as a filler and to keep the spice from clumping. I cannot find my source now. I think that it was the Codex Alimentarius site but I don't want to download it because it is massive.

Just a reminder as well that iodized salt is very corny. They add corn dextrose so that the iodine remains stable when added to the salt (and not evaporate). I use Redmonds Real Salt (have for years) with no reaction at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:34 pm 

If you are having problems with digestive enzymes or anything made using enzymes like rice syrup or tapioca syrup. Enzymes are used to convert starch into a syrup. This might be helpful to explain how corn maltodextrin is used in the manufacturing of enzymes:

"Emailed manufacturer last night to see if digestive enzymes were sprayed onto maltodextrin to dry (cross contamination, maltodextrin is derived from corn). From my research, in the past three years, it is industry standard to spray enzymes onto maltodextrin to dry. Yes they do use a little maltodextrin (5/14 confirmed)".

https://cornfreelifestyle.wordpress.com ... -and-corn/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:25 pm 

If this hasn't been mentioned already, many new cat litters are being made from corn: World's Best and Nature's Miracle are two that come to mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7