You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:20 pm 

Rashes and eczema could be your son's main food allergy reactions.

If he avoids his allergens they should clear up.

If he doesn't avoid his allergens they will probably continue and over years of continued contaimination he may get additional symptoms.

With rashes the next step up is usually swelling. Hopefully your son never develops an allergy that causes swelling. Next step above swelling is usually Anaphylaxis.

Exhaustion and mood changes are also common side effects of food allergies.

The faster you learn to eliminate food allergens the less likely your son will have to deal with chronic exhaustion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:45 pm 

CosmicChaos wrote:
Exhaustion and mood changes are also common side effects of food allergies.

The faster you learn to eliminate food allergens the less likely your son will have to deal with chronic exhaustion.

I totally agree with this! I have to eliminate dairy and wheat because I have chronic fatigue compounded by insomnia and only when I stop eating these things will I sleep good and feel good during the day. :) I also had severe depression, so bad that I almost ended my life about 18 months ago. I have NO depression to speak of now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:50 pm 

Although I stated "Exhaustion and mood changes are also common side effects of food allergies." as a fact, no food allergy doctor will support this.

This statement is based on a survey done by Food Allergy Survivors Together. Many of us have documented exhaustion and mood changes with food allergy reactions. Since these are LONG TERM reactions they were very hard to define as part of the Food Allergy puzzle until complete or almost complete elimination of food allergies were obtained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:19 pm 

Keegan's mommy,

I agree that testing should be used as a guide . . . but the only way to find out for sure is to eliminate the food and see if it makes a difference. I went through a sort of similar situation (but only as an adult, not as a child) where I tested positive to a lot of things and was having trouble sorting the allergies out . . . my allergist ended up supervising an elimination diet.

When on the diet, I found this book by Dr. Joneja to be helpful: (she isn't a medical doctor, but is a dietician, has a PhD in some science (immunology, I think) and is a prof. at the University of British Columbia):

http://www.amazon.com/Dealing-Food-Alle ... 980&sr=8-1

But I'd be hesitant to put a young child on a radically restricted diet without any medical advice. If you think this would be a useful route to go, maybe you could discuss the idea with your allergist and/or with a dietician and see what they recommend.

Maybe, though, corn is the answer! Since corn is in everything, a person allergic to corn might very well seem to be reacting to everything!

Good luck with all of this and let us know how things go!