You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The good and the bad
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:30 pm 

The good: my mom has finally started reading labels. She told me last night (I was over for dinner) that I couldn't have the noodles she made because they had corn starch. She had made me a baked potato instead.

The bad: I guess my label-reading skills need some work, because I had two problems this week. I ate some pita bread at work, and had a skin reaction (they just said flour and water on the ingredients) and the next day, I ate some soup and had a major reaction (lips swelled up, cramps, everything). It was at work, too! I have read and re-read the ingredients and have no idea what it was. That'll teach me to try new things!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:45 pm 

The pita bread likely had flour that was enriched. Anything that is fortified or enriched will contain corn because they use corn oil or corn starch as the carrier for the vitamins added to various products. I can't eat anything that is fortified or enriched.

The soup likely had up to a dozen corn derivatives in it...

I'm sorry you reacted to these foods. If you go the the Connor's site you will find a list of all of the different names for corn derivatives to avoid. I carry the list (see below) with me when I shop so that if I come across something with a questionable ingredient I can check the list. Even so, sometimes vegetables used in soups are washed in citric acid. This would be considered a "processing aide" and will not appear on the label. I have to make my soup from scratch using fresh veggies and my farm beef/stock.

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn- ... e-list.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:28 pm 

That's great that your mom is being so careful! It is definitely a learning curve, and it sometimes takes folks awhile to adjust.

I hope you are getting the corn allergy under control! I can understand wanting to take some risks, though, because it is a very difficult allergy to manage.