You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm 

This makes me so angry and sad that I could scream! I was in contact with Health Canada about the labeling of corn derivatives more than 20 years ago and there is still no help for us. They STILL claim that you need a corn protein to have a reaction....NOT TRUE. It is unbelievably hard to cope with this allergy especially when the powers that be won't believe you when you tell them that you react to things like citric acid, ascorbic acid, propylene glycol, sorbates, xanthan gum, dextrose, etc. etc. I know that some of my absolute worst reactions are to these derivatives.

<<<Food additive preparation derived from corn derivatives such as citric acid or xanthan gums which are produced by fermentation by-products of bacterial or fungal cultures fed with sucrose, glucose, corn starch, etc. and cellulose, dextrose or vitamins for that matter would contain negligible amounts of protein and would not be expected to trigger adverse reactions in corn allergic individuals.>>>

http://cornfreedom.com/blog/

Last edited by Eldi on Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 am 

By their logic, then products (alcohols, tamarai) made from fermented wheat/barley/rye should be safe for wheat allergies and celiacs because the proteins have changed and no longer resemble the original allergen? Or one of those peanut/nut derivatives in sunscreen/skin products/medications won't cause a reaction because it's so highly processed that it really isn't a peanut/nut product any more, even though it started out from peanuts/nuts? Clearly, we're the crazy ones.

I do not have corn allergy but couldn't imagine the struggles you face. Manufacturers should be able to provide every detail about what goes into their products, no matter what ingredient you are investigating. People should have a right to know what is going in or on their bodies, especially when they have allergies. It's not like we're spies trying to copy a secret recipe somewhere. It shouldn't be so complicated and I hope things will improve for people with corn allergy in the not-so-distant future.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:22 pm 

Thank you for your response. I feel so defeated at times that I just want to give up the fight. Then I hear about all of the newborns, small children and even other adults who are suffering through this nightmare and I feel compelled to keep fighting for some recognition for corn allergy.

In the meantime we are running out of safe food to eat. Corn is EVERYWHERE! I think someone (hopefully not a child) will have to die before we get any help. Even then there will be the "nay sayers" that insist that corn derivatives (or even just corn) cannot cause a deadly reaction.