You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:36 am 

My 5 year old son has severe peanut allergies ... I wanted to send him to this summer program that gets funds from the city. Can you imagine they refused him admission to the summer program .. they said they are not equipped to deal with his allergy and they would not be able to administer the epi. Is there anything I can do ? What I would really like to do is sue the City... Do I have a case and where should I go/call to help?
ANy information would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone heard of any situation about this!
thanks
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm 

What kind of program is it? Is it funded by city funds paid for by tax dollars? Did they refuse his participation if you are also present...or just if he is dropped off? Did they refuse to create a safe environment so you could attend with him?

I've had issues with my local library. Their kids programs ALL contain parties with tons of food, and I was basically told not to come if it's too dangerous. No room for discussing actually READING books, doing crafts and playing games at the parties. Kids LOVE the food :roll: . I did contact my city, but nothing ever came of it.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:43 pm 

thanks for your post.... It is a summer program run by the city.... Its like a summer camp that is indoors ... more like a day care.... which is run by the city. I was amazed when they said they cannot accept his application .... I could not explain to him why his younger brother could go there and he could not!
I wonder if anybody has gone through the process of sueing the school or the department and has anything come out of it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 pm 

Are you in the states? I don't know if you can qualify for an IEP (individualized education plan) for an allergy. But, it might be something to look into. With one of those the school basically has to accommodate your child. The impairment must affect the child in more than one area of daily life (such as education and life or behavioral skills), so I really don't know if a food allergy would count since "technically" it doesn't prevent someone from learning or functioning capably, although it can interfere with daily living. IEP's are generally given to students with ADD, ADHD, behavioral issues, and other cognitive and physical disabilities. I don't know if the program would fit under the IEP if the program does not actually "teach" anything (I used to tutor an autistic girl and summer school was in her IEP so they had to place her somewhere, but it had to be a more academic program rather than a play program. She actually had to learn academic skills such as math and other life skills to attend).

I know it doesn't seem fair, but if they don't feel that they can adequately protect your child, at least they're being honest and upfront about it, rather than having you get there and say no. I think that would be worse. I can honestly see their side, even though it really stinks. Staff ratios in the summer can be different than in the class room, they may have more part-time staff that do not have as much training as regular school year staff, sometimes summer programs have different insurance requirements, etc. Maybe asking what their concerns are and trying to alleviate them would be a better strategy?

Also hiring a local college student seeking part-time work that could be your child's "aide" for the camp might be sufficient enough to keep their worries at bay and allow him to attend. I used to work for the parks department in the city I live in and while I don't recall us ever really refusing people with disabilities, we were very upfront with parents about what the camp would entail and if the child still wanted to participate, they could. Most of the time the family had to supply an aide for the child to attend. During the camp we went on field trips to outside places (skating rink, science center, water slides) where there would be no way to control the food situation there as we were not the only people there, so in that respect, it may not be safe. I also know our staff ratio for the younger kids camps were about 1 staff to 3 students. Maybe they have a ratio close to that and do not feel that this would provide adequate protection?

Looking forward to ankle surgery. That's sad when that's what you have to look forward too.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Shock and anaphylaxis was covered in my CPR course. Do they not ensure staff have CPR and first aid training?
It really sounds discriminatory to me.
In my city of Ottawa they promote the city as barrier-free:
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityco ... M-0046.htm
Can you talk to your city Councilor or MPP?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb