You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Safer grocery stores
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:20 am 

We have discussed the frustration many of us feel over loose bulk nuts in the produce section. The answer we all seem to be getting from the stores is "It is not required by the law, so we don't have to do it". I am proposing that we work together to get the law changed. I would propose changing the law to only allow nuts in closed containers so they do not contaminate other food in the store. I felt that this topic should be moved from "shopping" to "government and law".

I feel that will an allergy as dangerous as tree nuts, that this is unacceptable and needs to be changed at the government law level.

Once again here is the respose I recieved from CFIA that gives the contact info on who needs to be informed next to clean up the stores.

Thank you for bringing your concern regarding displays of bulk nuts in the produce section of grocery stores to the attention of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA).

The CFIA has, and will continue to, work with consumers, associations and industry to address undeclared allergens and cross-contamination of allergens along the food chain. As a consumer, I encourage you to continue to bring your concerns to the attention of the various retailers. You may also wish to contact the Canadian Council of Grocery Distributors at www.ccgd.ca. The local Public Health authorities are responsible for the display and sale of bulk food items at retail. If you have any concerns with specific retailers, please contact your local Public Health office.

You will find a list of municipal and provincial inspection authorities on the CFIA website at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/rel ... aure.shtml

With regards to regulatory changes to the Food and Drugs Act with respect to food safety and the development of food safety policy at the federal level, these are the responsibility of Health Canada. They can be reached at www.hc-sc.gc.ca.

Once again, thank you for contacting the CFIA with your concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:21 pm 

I have come up with a time efficient way of e-mailing multiple people. I understand everyone is pressed for time, and this makes e-mailing letters less time consuming.

Use microsoft word (for example) to type your letter.
Save it.
Highlight the entire letter.
Click on edit on your tool bar, then copy.
Begin an e-mail, or click on "contact us" on the appropriate web site and move your cursor to "comments".
Click on "edit" and then "paste"
Fill in personal info and voila, you're are done.

Don't forget to hit send. :wink:

Then, move on to another e-mail and repeat.

Then, you have it on file if you choose to send the letter to anyone else in the future.

Previously, I had been starting from scratch each time I e-mailed anyone over school or other government issues. This works so much better!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

It's a grerat idea to keep thet brilliant letter handy for the next time you wish to send it!
Whenever possible, cc your letter to yourself so you have a copy of what you sent and the date. You can follow up with those who did not respond and remind them of your previous attempt to contact them.
Create a new folder in your e-mail program marked ingredients check or just plain food allergies. You can move e-mail messages recieved to that and keep them as a referrence.