PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:49 pm 

http://allergies.found-here.info/?p=2087
:huggy :thanksign
Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm 

Sara said
Quote:
I got the impression they were trying to get a hold of me. I think a lot of times schools will do this. They try to reach the parents..
They try to transfer the responsibility to the parent. With anaphylaxis, there’s no time to wait. There’s no time to play with! You have to respond to the reaction. You can’t call the parent and say, “Come and get your child. Your child’s having an anaphylactic reaction.” I mean I’ve heard those stories before.

I think this is very true. Schools do seem to try to transfer the responsibility to the parent, which is so wrong. Remember this? My letter to all MLA's (full letter on page 2 of Alberta School Board Anaphylaxis Policies or lack there of.......)
Quote:
Last year my 12 year old child “had a rash and was itchy all over”. When he told staff of his difficulties, he was sent to the office alone to call me, and then from there (alone again) to his home room to wait for me, without his homeroom teacher even being made aware of his problem.
I had been in touch with a lawyer previously due to the lack of attention I felt was present in our school division, I contacted him again after this happened and he sent another letter to the superintendant and copied it to the Minister of Education (Hancock) in Alberta. That was in June of 2009.

Michele

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you for posting this!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm 

I hadn't listened when I posted it, only read it quickly. Now I've listened....and wondering......and so even more motivated.
Sara, if you're reading this, thank you so much for your voice. My DD and I have been wondering lately how many people we have personally made aware....and I want you to know(I believe Sabrina already knows) that we both have speaking engagements soon. You give me courage...Thank you. We did meet briefly in Edmonton and Sabrina's card reminding to help people get their chores done has been on my refridgerator since.

Michele

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:46 pm 

What a powerful interview with many quotes that could be shared with others who wouldn't read/listen to the entire interview.

Absorb the interview when you have the time to ponder and, in my case, cry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:51 pm 

I wasn't gonna mention that part. :huggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:00 pm 

Sara's details about her last moments seeing her daughter before and after Sabrina's reaction are heart-wrenching.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:52 am 

She is truly an incredible woman. I admire her strength and her perseverance to see her promise through in the most difficult of circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am 
Site Admin

katec wrote:
She is truly an incredible woman. I admire her strength and her perseverance to see her promise through in the most difficult of circumstances.

:thumbsup I don't know if I could have done it...I hope I never have to find out!

My daughter is growing up and becoming more independant and she's so inteligent, creative, sensible and responsible (cautious) even at 9 years of age. I was remarking just today that she reminds me of Sabrina. (At least, how I imagine her, I have never met her)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb