You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: about Beer and labelling
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 pm 

I've been thinking a lot about this issue. Beer companies not wanting to be a part of the new regulations.

The one (somewhat) legitimate concern they have raised is the fancy bottles used by some of the specialty beer companies. They do not have pasted on paper labels, they are painted right on the bottle. That would be expensive to replace them all, and it could result in some companies closing down.

My first thought was, the ingredients could be listed on the case. If you buy a package of cookies, the ingredients are listed on the bag, not on each individual cookie. So, I think this should be sufficient.

But then, I spoke with someone who drinks beer, and is more familiar with the specialty beers. He said they can be purchased individually. this person I spoke with does not have food allergies...nut his opinion was....if they can only label the cases, they'll just have to stop sellong them ndividually. However, I think a lot of their sales probably are individual bottles, so that would be quite a financial hardship for them.

My next thought was, could they make a paper label that ties around the neck for indivual sales?

~~~~

I do not agree with beer companies getting an exemption. But, I also don't want this delayed for them.

do these ideas sound acceptable to people with fa's? would labelling the case, or hanging the ingredient label on the neck of indivual sale bottles be enough?

If anyone is attending these gov't meetings and feels these are good ideas, feel free to use them...or improve them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your thoughts AM. I agree that it will be harder for these companies. The government can inititate a phase in period during which the companies can bring their bottles up to code. The Brewers Association states the bottles are used 20 times so there are conceivably new bottles being introduced all the time.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb