You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 1523
Location: Alberta
njjjj

_________________
Myself - Seasonal, cats
dd-asthma (trigger - flu) anaphylactic to eggs, severe allergies to bugspray and penicilin,pulmicort
ds-Seasonal, cats and OAS
dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy


Last edited by alberta advocate on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:29 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6479
Location: Ottawa
Haven't read the article yet but, they're put in isolation for the entire day? :freak
Why aren't they asked to wash or sent home. :dungetit

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:37 am
Posts: 1523
Location: Alberta
ljkjklhlhjk

_________________
Myself - Seasonal, cats
dd-asthma (trigger - flu) anaphylactic to eggs, severe allergies to bugspray and penicilin,pulmicort
ds-Seasonal, cats and OAS
dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy


Last edited by alberta advocate on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6479
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
It would be
impractical to have an allergen free school as we cannot control with 100% certainty what
allergens come into our school or when sensitivity to an allergen would affect a member of the
community.


But, maybe they could be Allergy Aware. Meaning that all staff are trained on how to recognize and respond to a severe allergic reaction. They could also have a mission statement and policy that is known to the entire school body that the school is an inclusive and tolerant community. That each person brings challenges and talents. By recognizing everyone for the unique individual they are and encouraging them to reach their fullest potential, we realize that we all grow...

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
BTW our school is scent free (scent aware is what they mean but we know that :roll: )

What is ironic to me is that say milk allergic children are still expected to 'manage' in schools with milk /yogurt/pizza in the classrooms.... in this article if scent bothers someone a child is put in isolation??????????????????????

_________________
DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:00 am
Posts: 1119
_Susan_ wrote:
put in isolation for the entire day? :freak
Why aren't they asked to wash or sent home. :dungetit


They would need a full shower to remove the scent. And they likely wouldn't have any scent-free products with them. I have never had a problem in K-5 with a student. I doubt isolation would be needed for a young student.

Yesterday, I only had 5 people in my classroom for a meeting and two of them had on overpowering scents for me. They know not to wear it in there so I opened the window and it became very cold in there. If I could have put them in isolation, I would because I guarantee you that being isolated from their friends, and without their cell phone, for a day, would have it etched in their brain not to wear highly scented products. These kids have seen me ill from scents, there are signs in the classroom and hallway but they are kids. Until they feel an effect, i.e., isolation or suspension (if they spray in my room or in the hallway) they just don't remember.

_________________
me: allergic to crustaceans plus environmental
teenager: allergic to hazelnuts, some other foods and environmental


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
Quote:
Yesterday, I only had 5 people in my classroom for a meeting and two of them had on overpowering scents for me. They know not to wear it in there so I opened the window and it became very cold in there. If I could have put them in isolation, I would

That must make for a very difficult and uncomfortable working environment for you Walooet. Thanks for your perspective. I do see how this situation can differ with respect to teenagers/adults or younger children.
Teens/adults should only need to be explained to once about how wearing such as scents can make you very sick. If they continue to wear them this is disrespectful and very inconsiderate. Then yes I do see how some kind of reprimand would help 'instill' the message.

Younger children I would hope not be put in isolation. As best as the school could I would hope they could supply a warm soapy cloth to wipe their face/neck etc.to remove as much scent as possible.

This issue also goes teacher - student. In my daughter's OLD school (1.5 yrs ago) she had a teacher who wore so much make up and scent that my daughter had such bad headaches she could hardly concentrate in class due to feeling so ill. I finally talked to the teacher -nicely- suggesting it might be her perfume causing the issue. She looked at me like I had 2 heads as NO other student felt that way so it must be pollens etc.. bothering our daughter. We had this discussion with me standing 4 ft back from her as her perfume was so strong my eyes were starting to water. :roll:

_________________
DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:00 am
Posts: 1119
We had to have that talk with a teacher last year as well. She didn't get it so we moved my daughter far from her desk which was sufficient for her.

It is not life threatening so I don't make nearly as big of a deal as I do with my daughter's food allergies but it is a pain nonetheless. I don't like feeling ill so regardless of the temperature outside, I open those classroom windows wide and guaranteed, the next time a student comes in 'over-scented', his classmates shoo him out!

_________________
me: allergic to crustaceans plus environmental
teenager: allergic to hazelnuts, some other foods and environmental


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Posts: 2034
Location: ottawa
Sometimes it would be nice if everyone just displayed a little more common courtesy. Regardless if a condition is life threatening or not everyone should be able to work/be in an environment which doesn't cause them hardship by reaction or by any physical suffering even if minor. Why some people think drenching themselves in perfume makes them more attractive I'll never understand.

Our family is very sensitive to scent now just from avoiding it for 3 yrs (irritates ds). From avoiding it for so long we find when we now do encounter someone with a lot of perfume or walk through a cosmetics section of a dept. store etc. the smell can be very overpowering.

_________________
DD 12 yrs -no allergies
4 yr old DS - asthma/eczema Anaphylactic to Peanuts, all tree nuts, sesame , all pea/lentil legumes, gelatin.
Allergic to trees, grass,ragweed, feathers, dander, mold and dust.
Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Maja and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group