You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:21 pm 

So, near as I can see, there wasn't much going on here to kick things off so.......I am putting my house and street to work. I live very near a station where a lot of people are coming to cast their vote....in fact alot turn around in my drive and park on my street...that's ok with me....I'm very friendly and have lots of nice conversations.
I will take pics and post them when the kids come home to help but in the meantime thought I would let you know what I've done...

I am decorating (kinda like we do for Christmas, easter, valentines, halloween, Canada Day)and today lots of people are becoming aware that May is Food Allergy Awareness Month.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am 

I'm glad you posted this. I had thought I'd heard that May was Food Allergy Awareness month (on this forum) but cannot find any info when I did a google search. Is it just for Alberta? Is it all allergy or Food allergy. Just want to get my facts straight.

I have thought of but have not yet done:
(1) Walking door-to-door in my own neighbourhood and passing out flyers that show how to administer an epipen and recognize anaphylaxis (FAST)
(2) asking local businesses to post same info/flyer on staff or public bulletin boards
(3) sending blanket email to all my contacts with this info and asking them to send to their contacts
(4) posting to my FB status

I wonder if these actions are better suited to Anaphylaxis Awareness month in September which is national?

I am looking for ways to get more involved to channel some of the energy I waste on sleepless nights (literally) worrying about my son and his allergy. So far all I have done is post to FB: (1) link to how to administer an epipen video and (2) info when the labeling law was passed and listed the top allergens.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am 

I don't know anything about September.
Here is a link viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5520

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am 

and another viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6647

I was beginning to think I dreamt this. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm 

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/calend/index-eng.php
Quote:
May
Month
Celiac Awareness Month
Cystic Fibrosis Month
Food Allergy Awareness Month
Foot Health Awareness Month
Hepatitis Awareness Month
Huntington's Disease Awareness Month
Medic Alert Month
Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month
National Physiotherapy Month
Speech and Hearing Awareness Month
Week
* 1-7 National Summer Safety Week
1-7 Emergency Preparedness Week
1-7 North American Occupational Safety and Health Week
1-7 National Hospice Palliative Care Week
1-7 National Mental Health Week
1-7 Spinal Health Week
9-15 Naturopathic Medicine Week
9-15 National Nursing Week
24-27 Aboriginal Awareness Week
May 30 - June 5 Safe Kids Week
Day
1 Annual Hike for Hospice Palliative Care
3 World Asthma Day
* 8 World Red Cross Day
* 10 WHO, Move for Health Day
* 12 International Nursing Day
* 12 Canada Health Day
* 12 Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome National Awareness Day
* 17 International Day Against Homophobia
19 World Hepatitis Day
* 28 National Multiple Births Awareness Day
* 31 World No-Tobacco Day

No, not a dream. If I remember right, it was first a week and then it was changed to become a month, for some reason I can't find the paperwork, but it was talked about in some building somewhere last year, I think. Will keep searching.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 pm 

Here's more http://www.cherylgallant.com/riding-new ... s-possible
march 03,2011
Quote:
OTTAWA, ONTARIO – “Input from local people helped make these changes happen,” stated Cheryl Gallant, MP Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, in referring to the announced regulations to strengthen Canada’s labelling of food allergens and gluten sources. “Through information mailers that I send out from my office on a regular basis and a public information session that was held, I let our Minister of Health know how important it was to local residents for our government to show leadership on this issue.”

“For families who have a loved one who suffers from an acute allergy, every day is a challenge. This is especially the case for children, who can be tempted to eat something, many times unknowingly, that could be life threatening. It was my privilege last year to seek and receive unanimous consent from all Members of the House of Commons to declare May as Food Allergy Awareness Month in Canada.

It's kinda weird how the federal p.c.'s are on board and we get what we have here in Alberta from the provincial p.c.'s except those 4 that were on board back on 15 March 2010 viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5758

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 pm 

Jennifoo wrote:
I'm glad you posted this. I had thought I'd heard that May was Food Allergy Awareness month (on this forum) but cannot find any info when I did a google search. Is it just for Alberta? Is it all allergy or Food allergy. Just want to get my facts straight.

I have thought of but have not yet done:
(1) Walking door-to-door in my own neighbourhood and passing out flyers that show how to administer an epipen and recognize anaphylaxis (FAST)
(2) asking local businesses to post same info/flyer on staff or public bulletin boards
(3) sending blanket email to all my contacts with this info and asking them to send to their contacts
(4) posting to my FB status

I wonder if these actions are better suited to Anaphylaxis Awareness month in September which is national?

I am looking for ways to get more involved to channel some of the energy I waste on sleepless nights (literally) worrying about my son and his allergy. So far all I have done is post to FB: (1) link to how to administer an epipen video and (2) info when the labeling law was passed and listed the top allergens.
:goodidea Don't forget the teal, Jennifoo ! :huggy viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6356&start=105

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:50 am 

Found a little more info....and I do mean a little....regarding Food Allergy Awareness Month and the Alberta Government. http://www.assembly.ab.ca/visitor/preview.pdf page 2 has a list of different things and it's not on it. Although, to be fair, neither is Hemochromatosis Awareness Month which is held the during the month of May of each year as well....and they most certainly know about that.

http://www.toomuchiron.ca/awarenessmonth/index.php
Quote:
Alberta
Thursday, May 5

Executive Director, Bob Rogers, meets with the Alberta Minister of Health, Gene Zwozdesky http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=37 . The province of Alberta Community Spirit Grant cheque is presented to Bob by the Minister at 10 am in Room 210 of the Legislature Building. This cheque will enable the Society to hold information seminars in Alberta in the coming fall in cooperation with local Primary Care Networks.

I saw on Global News here in Edmonton last nite that The Wizard of Zwoz gave a cheque to raise awareness here in Alberta on this issue along with his collegue George VanderBurg who suffers from this ailment http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=83

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5758
Quote:
MacDonald put forth motion 504 "Be it resolved that the Legislative Assembly urge the government

to introduce legislation requiring all school boards to

establish and maintain an anaphylactic policy that includes

strategies to reduce exposure to anaphylactic causative agents,

information on life-threatening allergies, annual first aid

training on dealing with life-threatening allergies, and a

requirement for every school principal to develop a plan for

each pupil affected by an anaphylactic allergy, including the

maintenance of a file for each anaphylactic pupil."

It lost with totals: For – 9 Against – 23
23 against basic strategies to keep students safe!

For the motion:Anderson, Hayden, MacDonald, Calahasen, Horner, Pastoor, Chase, Lindsay and Taft.
Against the motion:Amery, Fritz, McFarland, Bhullar, Horne, Olson, Campbell, Jablonski, Prins,Dallas, Jacobs, Quest, Danyluk, Knight, Rodney, Denis, Leskiw, VanderBurg, Doerksen, Lukaszuk, Vandermeer, Elniski and Marz.

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ISYS/LADDAR_f ... 01_han.pdf
Too bad we couldn't get someone on board here. I would have thought Danyluk http://www.assembly.ab.ca/net/index.asp ... rnumber=60 would have been a help and not a hinderence in this thing....beings he is allergic to peanuts. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5971

Can you tell I'm a little ticked? Not that I begrudge anyone any awareness for their cause, but :banghead

cross reference viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5943&start=0 getting political in Alberta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 am 

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Artic ... ?e=3153880
Quote:
Anaphylaxis: Are you ready?
By ########Alberta Health Services
Posted 1 month ago
In Alberta, about 66,000 Albertans have a life-threatening allergy.

Posted a month ago....well, it's nice to see they are catching up! :roll: Grande Prairie, hmmmm, oh yeah, viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6469&p=37663&hilit=grande+prairie#p37663

Quote:
http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Artic ... ?e=2848219
http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/Artic ... ?e=2848219
Quote:
In response to parental concerns, Grande Prairie's public schools are adopting a new policy to protect students and staff with severe allergic reactions.

I wonder who these parents are, and how many, and on and on......this is not right....something is very very wrong here in Alberta. I think I am going to talk to that reporter....maybe he would do a follow up since May is just around the corner.
I wonder if they have a policy yet?

Last edited by alberta advocate on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Every May the AAIA has their annual run/walk for Anaphylaxis reasearch. They seem to add a new location each year.
http://www.aaia.ca/en/activities.htm

Maybe it's time to get a location in Alberta.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm 

I would participate if there was an allergy run in or near Edmonton! I could get a bunch of other runners to sign up too. Unfortunately, I don't have time to plan something like this. Keep me posted. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:33 pm 

mnjkjk

Last edited by alberta advocate on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:02 am 

Give me enough notice and I will learn to run. (Inhaler and all!)
:mrgreen: :bouncygreen
I need a little green running guy. :goodidea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Well, we do the 2k walk! :swing

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb