You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm 

I am looking for some advice. My baby developed a severe hives reaction (all over his body) in response to something. He is only 11 weeks old. I suspect it is seaweed as this was the only different thing that I ate a few hours prior to breastfeeding him. His reaction gradually emerged about 4 hours after me eating and has gradually subsided over 5 days. Has anyone experienced this with their babies also? The only other thing that was different was that he received the Rotatech vaccination 2 days earlier but our doctor feels that this is unlikely the cause of the hives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:27 pm 

It's hard to say. It might be the seaweed. I googled "seaweed allergy" and got some interesting hits. Seaweed allergy certainly does exist.

Could the seaweed have been cross-contaminated with some form of seafood (fish, shellfish, crustacean)? That's another possible allergy.

As well, your baby could have developed an allergy to something you've been eating all along. Allergies can develop at any age, so just because your baby was okay with everything else until this point doesn't mean he's not allergic to one of those foods now.

When I googled "seaweed allergy", I found this: http://www.medeserv.com.au/ascia/aer/in ... ance05.pdf . Did you know that MSG was isolated from seaweed by a Japanese chemist in 1908? (Search for the word "seaweed" in the PDF file). MSG might also be something to keep an eye on.

I guess if it were me I would avoid the seaweed as a precaution, and obviously keep my eyes open for future hives. And if more hives do appear, I would suggest keeping a food journal to try to figure out what the root cause is.

It's so challenging to figure out the root cause sometimes. Let's just hope the hives stay away!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:00 pm 

Seaweed is often prepared in the same area as fish, and therefore to be safe people with fish and shellfish allergies should always avoid seaweed unless you are absolutley certain that there is no cross contamination.