You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:35 am 

Taking DS to allergist for an oral challenge. His RAST tests indicated that he's no longer allergic. In the past he'd get asthma attacks just from the smell.

I felt like 'connecting' with all of you on the forum who have been so great about cheering on parents on 'challenge' days ... This is way more nerve wracking than I thought it'd be! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I hope all goes well!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 pm 

Thanks Susan!

The fantastic news is that he didn't react to the salmon for the skin prick test (done with the sample we were supposed to feed him). This is a first for us, since his skin tests (and blood tests) have historically been off the charts.

We didn't actually get to the challenge because while waiting 15 minutes for the SPT to 'ripen', he started getting a swollen lip from touching something in the waiting room/office (we don't know what it was, but likely traces of one of the many foods he's allergic to).

This is still a HUGE victory for us, as in the past, he had issues with the smell, AND had gotten hives when kissed after DH ate salmon. Before going to the allergists' office for the oral challenge, I followed the protocol of putting salmon on his body and he didn't get any contact reactions (not even on his cheek). For us, this *really* is worth celebrating.

Another oral challenge has been ordered, this time in a hospital where an office will be specially cleaned for us.

I know the site admin wont like this, (I don't mean to disrespect you, and I understand your fears/concerns), but I want to share. Our son has been treated by his naturopath for fish mix, and the naturopath's testing showed that he was clear for salmon. We followed that testing up with the RAST tests (and today a SPT) which also indicate there is no longer an allergy. I suppose critics of naturopathic allergy elimination (or reduction) treatments could feel this is a coincidence. I feel otherwise, am enjoying a little bit of bliss for my child today. :D