You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

With my previous thread on that one brand of bandages containing shrimp protein, thought it might be smart for us to start a list of unexpected shellifsh or fish sources.

Here's a start:
- Microdermabrasion kits - some of these kits use crustacean shells as the rough substance to remove dead skin.
- Omega 3 - a lot of people still don't realize that it's very often fish-derived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 pm 

Juice (usually the 2 Ltr. in cooler section) with omega most say contain fish
Becel and other margarines with Omega 3 warn of fish
Yogurt (I can't remember the brand) I've seen warn of fish

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:45 pm 

I heard once that Pringles uses anchovies, somehow...gross huh? Sorry I think anchovies are gross period. I couldn't find it online, so....may not be true.

Definitely the bandaid source takes the cake, lol.

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/seafo ... llergy.htm

Foods commonly containing fish (from above link): caesar salad dressing, worcestershire sauce, ceviche, caviar, gelatin, cioppino, nam pla, bouillabaisse, fume, surimi, pissaladiere, omega 3 supplements, and caponata.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:51 am 

I have seen the pringles styx with sardines listed as an ingredient.

Pringles Styx

INGREDIENTS: WHEAT FLOUR, PALM OIL, MARGARINE (PALM OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, CANOLA OIL, CORN OIL, GLYCERYL MONOSTEARATE, CAROTENE, NATURAL FLAVORS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES) AND SUGAR. CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: DRIED POTATOES, YEAST, CONCENTRATED CHICKEN STOCK (CHICKEN, SOY SAUCE POWDER, LACTIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARAMEL COLOR, SARDINE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE), SALT, ISOMERIC SUGAR, RICE, MALTED BARLEY (GLUTEN), BUTTER, LACTOSE, PEPPER, GARLIC, CELERY, WHEAT GLUTEN, MILK FAT RESOLVENT, EGG AND NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS.
CONTAINS WHEAT, MILK, SARDINE, SOYBEAN AND EGG INGREDIENTS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Good grief - sardine in chips?

I don't get why they even go there with their recipe.

At least they have a 'contains' statement - since the sardine is pretty far down the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Eww! WHat flavour of chip do you like best, sardine? :roll:

Make mine regular please, if I want another flavour, I'll make a dip!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:19 pm 

Warning - Nestle 'Juicy Juice' (Brain Development) - Contains fish oil

INGREDIENTS: APPLE JUICE, AND GRAPE JUICE (WATER, JUICE CONCENTRATES), WATER, AND LESS THAN 0.5% OF NATURAL FLAVORS, PECTIN, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), FISH OIL (TUNA) [A SOURCE OF OMEGA-3], CITRIC ACID, GELLAN GUM.

Last edited by BC2007 on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:10 pm 

Weirdness - who would've thought fish oil in juicy juice! And I stand corrected about the pringles stix - sardines is right.

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:36 pm 

I don't think it matters technically if the Pringles contain anchovies or sardines, either way it seems unnecessary and disgusting. = - ) And indeed, fish in juice!! I have seen them at the grocery store, the 2 ltr. boxes in the cooler. The curse of Omega3!!

Minute Maid® Fruit Solutions® Omega-3
Ingredients: Fruit juices from concentrate (orange, grape and passionfruit), mango puree, natural flavour, encapsulated fish oil (refined fish oil (anchovy, sardine), fish gelatin, sodium phosphate, sodium ascorbate, canola and sunflower oils, natural flavour, soy tocopherols, citric acid), potassium citrate (potassium), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), ferric pyrophosphate (iron), hydrolyzed soy lecithin, folic acid (folate), thiamine mononitrate (thiamine)
Allergen information: contains ingredients derived from fish source

Tropicana Pure Premium Juice, Orange, No Pulp, Heart Healthy with Omega-3

Ingredients: 100% Pure Pasteurized Orange Juice and MEG-3 (Ingredient not Found in Regular Orange Juice) (Fish Oil and Fish Gelatin).
Warning: Contains tilapia, sardine and anchovy.

BECEL OMEGA3PLUS
Ingredients:
Canola and sunflower oils, water, palm and palm kernel oils, fish oil, salt, whey, potassium sorbate, vegetable monoglycerides, mixed soybean oil tocopherols, natural and artificial flavour, citric acid, calcium disodium edta, vitamin A palmitate, vegetable colour, vitamin D3, alpha-tocopherol acetate. CONTAINS FISH OIL. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm 

Fish oil in Mr. Christie Snack Paks ABC Cocoa cookies.

I checked the other flavors of the Mr. Christie Snack Paks and only saw fish listed in the cocoa ones.

Our daughter was reading ingredient labels as we shopped today (she is my double checker). She read a box of cookies that had a peanut free symbol on it and put it down saying these have fish in them. I didn't believe her and looked, I still didn't see where it said fish (back to how miniscule companies label). Well after re-reading the entire ingredients sure enough there was fish oil listed. There was no allergy warning on the box separate from the ingredients. Is refined fish oil not allergy causing? In my head, fish is fish and 1.gross, 2. I'm not taking any chances.

The box says "REFINED FISH OIL (COD LIVER OIL)" What the!!! I mean really, in chocolate cookies, do they NEED the fish! I don't care if it is refined, I don't want to take a chance on ANY fish oil, what are some companies thinking!!!!

OMEGA-3 EGGS
I have read that Omega-3 eggs are eggs that are produced when are hens fed a diet suppimented with ground flax seed BUT...I also have read that ....
"Some liquid omega-3 egg products do contain fish oil to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in the product. "
My question is, if eggs now may contain fish - will that be shown in ingredients listings if used in food products, or will they just have to list EGGS??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 am 
Site Admin

BC2007 wrote:
Fish oil in Mr. Christie Snack Paks ABC Cocoa cookies. My question is, if eggs now may contain fish - will that be shown in ingredients listings if used in food products, or will they just have to list EGGS??

Good question!

Re: Mr. Christie cookies, take the time to send a quick e-mail (no stamp required!) to the company and let them know that by adding the fish oil, they are limitting their target customer base. $$$ is what companies listen to.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:36 am 

Done :D :D
I let them know their efforts to make peanut/nut free products are appreciated BUT do they think we could also eliminate fish! I've never worried about cross contamination when buying cookies....with fish before!!!!!!!!!!!