You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

A friend with an f.a. child was doing what we all do - reading the fine print on some bandages she bought for the first-aid kit.

She thought she'd better mention to me - so I'd tell others - they contain shrimp shells! I mean who would think:

Quote:
What is the KytoStat Bandage made from?
The KytoStat Bandage has a unique pad that is fabricated from chitosan, a naturally occurring material derived from shrimp shells. Once in bandage form, it is joined with a latex free adhesive backing and is then sterilized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Gack! :shock: Now we need ingredient labelling on all products!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:55 pm 

Hi, I haven't been on in quite a while. This article caught my eye. Shrimp in bandage glue? Great. I had read somewhere that a man went ana after licking a postage stamp. After researching have found articles stating some glues have shellfish/crustaceans as ingred. Since then I have not licked an evelope or anything. It never crossed my mind that it could also show up in the bandage glue. I have been reacting to laytex bandages for a couple of years now and the nurse at the hospital advised me to use non laytex. She felt the rash at bandage site (lasts sometimes up to a week or more after removal) was due to the laytex. But maybe it was to the glue, not necessarily to the laytex I react to. Good question. I am ana to shellfish and crustaceans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 am 

bit of a shock there!

i was surprised that pearl cream eyeyshadow is made from crushed fish scales.............yuk!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:36 am 

Chitosan is one of the ingredients I am having a hard time getting a straight answer on, here in the Maritimes. One allergist toldl me "It is from the shells not the protein, so don't worry about it no protein in shells". I asked-cannot some of the protein still adhere to the shells, therefore a danger to us? Answer was no. :scratchy My online research shows that chitosan, chondroitin, chitin (all the same) can and has caused a reaction in the shellfish/crustacean allergic. Someone at medic alert once told me to stay away from this ingred because she was aware that some people react to this it.

With conflicting info it is hard to know what to do. I need dental surgery needing stitches (next week). I have questioned and researched sutures and found that a lot of sutures are coated with chitin to aid in the healing process. Same allergist said that chances of a reaction are slim that it is refined to a point of no issue plus chitin is from the shell not protein. My family doctor, after hearing about the chitin advised maybe I should stay away from dissolveable sutures. I hate winging it when it comes to my life.

So here we are - bandaids with chitosan, sutures with chitin, shampoos and makeup with chitosan,chitin....the extensive list of chitin's uses is mind boggling.

Has anyone with our severe allergy had a severe reaction to this ingredient and at the same time, has anyone safely used these items?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:43 pm 

I have a terrible scar on my stomach after having a cyst removed two years ago. The surgery went well but I had a reaction to the bandage that was applied afterward. I was told not to remove it for a week then could not get in to see the surgeon when the area under the glue became inflamed then infected. I ended up giong to the ER where they used a different bandage but the damage was done resulting in a horrible scar. It took a month for it to heal when it should have only been a week. I can use band-aids but not medical tape.

Makes me wonder since I have had problems breathing the last few times I had shrimp.(I avoid it now)