You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: H1N1 vaccine/ fish oil
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 am 

Ok I just saw this morning that the adjuvant in the H1N1 vaccine is extracted from purified fish oil. Does this mean those of us who are allergic to fish can not take the vaccine or because it is purified is that ok?

The adjuvant in Canada’s H1N1 vaccine is derived from a natural oil called squalene, which is manufactured in the human liver and circulates in the bloodstream. In vaccines, squalene is commercially extracted and purified from fish oil.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:56 pm 

I had missed that :oops ... thanks! I just quickly read on it and it's not the vaccine that contains fish oil but the adjuvent... They do have an H1N1 vaccine without adjuvent that is specific for young kids and pregnant women... but it's still a few weeks away :( Guess we'll have to wait for that one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:12 pm 

Could not leave this unanswered...

The city of Ottawa has that statement on it's FAQs on their website:

Is there any concern for people who have fish allergies receiving the H1N1 adjuvanted vaccine?
This matter was extensively reviewed with the vaccine regulating body and the vaccine manufacturer and there are no concerns. Persons with fish allergies can receive the adjuvanted vaccine. Squalene is naturally present in the human body. The Shark-derived squalene that is used in the production the adjuvant is highly purified. The purification process involves three successive distillation steps at more than 120 C°. This means that any protein present that would cause an allergic response is eliminated by the purification process.
http://ottawa.ca/residents/health/condi ... l#P48_4364

Partially re-assuring... but I've been trying to reach my allergist and he's only back at work on Wednesday... left a message. :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 am 

Thank you that does sound a little better. Would love to hear if you hear anything back from your Dr. I have been calling mine as they only answer the phone twice a week for a couple of hours and their mail box is always full :scratchy Maybe time for a new doctor

Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:21 pm 

I've taken steps to get a "prescription paper" for the non-adjuvent version in case they require something... they only have limited numbers and are for specific population... I don't want to go rushing for a paper once it is available as Health Canada just bought a first lot of them for vaccination probably next week :P Now waiting for all those people to call me back :roll:

(I should be looking for a new allergist too... he closed his office in town and is now 2h away... but I had too many bad experiences in the past, I'm now a little scared of changing...)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm 

Gwen posted this in another subject:

Quote:
We've been hearing from many readers with concerns about fish or soy trace ingredients in the vaccine's adjuvant.

We've been in touch with Dr. Warrington, pres. of the CSACI, and a senior representative of GlaxoSmithKline, the vaccine's manufacturer. See this updated link: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=307

Plus: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=308