You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:05 pm 

This is a heads up for all of you with shellfish allergy.

I found in the winter allergic living magazine the website for Swiss Chalet and checked it out to see their allergen list. Particularly mine - shellfish/crustacean.

What I found is that there is shellfish in:

shellfish in Swiss Chalet GRAVY

shellfish in Swiss Chalet STRAWBERRY SAUCE

Even if our local Swiss Chalet stops serving shrimp salad and lobster tails, I will never ever eat there. The chance of cross-contamination from the gravy would be so high. Their gravy is a main staple served. Was hoping that could possibly be the one safe restaurant for me. You know, CHICKEN restaurant. Guess not, but still looking.

Can't imagine what it would be doing in gravy or strawberry sauce :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:08 pm 

Hi,

I just check the Swiss Chalet website and just wanted to clarify that their swiss chalet sauce is free of fish/shellfish. This sauce seems to be what is the main staple here is ontario. Good thing for me, since I do eat there once in a while.

I was also surprised about the strawberry sauce, but not the gravy. I have seen many cans that have anchovy in them.

Ali

Post subject: Swiss Chalet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 pm 

Yes the sauce showed the only allergen as sulphite. That was one of my favourite things about Swiss Chalet, dipping my chicken in that tasty sauce - before ana came.

Because of the risk of cross-contamination I dare not take a chance of going there. Due to my medication my epi won't be of much use.

It is good to see some of the restaurants now have available the lists of allergens in such a readable format. I printed a copy for my files. The print could be a bit larger though. Don't laugh......but I had to use my magnifying glass to really see it easily. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:57 pm 

what's the difference between gravy and the sauce? If swiss chalet sauce is safe, carefull about those other chicken places, they are NOT safe! And even if Swiss Chalet declares fish in their strawberry sauce, I would still have doubts about their famous sauce... my own opinion!