You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:44 pm 

Hi everyone. I have recently joined and am so pleased by what I have seen in this forum. Great place. It is so lonely being an anaphylactic because no one without an allergy understands. Being anaphylactic to shellfish and crustaceans (along with penicillin), and the fact that due to some medication I am on,which will make my epi-pen pretty much useless should I go into shock, I am constantly checking and rechecking all my food stuffs. During one of my info calls someone told me to watch out for Glucosamine/chondroitin but she knew not why. After some thorough checking on the net I finally found out that the ingredient - Glucosamine Sulfate/Chondroitin - is derived from Shellfish. Now I have a new ingred to check on labels. Haven't seen it yet though. Keep an eye out for this one.
Here is a question for you. Does anyone know if the ingredient - Carrageenan (Irish Moss) which is an edible seaweed, is safe for a shellfish/crustacean anaphylactic? It is an ingred in ice cream. I love my ice cream, so please, anyone, do you have an answer? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:29 pm 

Hi!

For the seaweed, you should check with your allergist. If s/he doesn't know, it's possible to test you to see if you react to it. It's always safer to check with an allergist before trying new stuff like that.

Mylène

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:39 pm 

susieQ wrote:

Here is a question for you. Does anyone know if the ingredient - Carrageenan (Irish Moss) which is an edible seaweed, is safe for a shellfish/crustacean anaphylactic? It is an ingred in ice cream. I love my ice cream, so please, anyone, do you have an answer? Thanks

I'm new here--just got my results back today, but because I've suspected my shellfish allergy for several months (and have dealt with peanut allergy for DS for 7 years) I hae been reading about this some. According to the FAAN website, Carrageenan isn't related to shellfish and is safe, but I suggest you go to the FAAN website yourself to check it out.