You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm 

FYI, the new Cardivia Omega-3 Yogourt by Danon uses Omega-3 from fish ;) as well as flax seeds. (I don't eat milk, but my mom just bought some and had the idea to go on the website to know more... good thing she didn't eat them, she's allergic to FISH!!!!!)

Fish is not listed on the box, but on the website!!!!!!! :evil:

http://www.cardivia.ca/en.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:15 pm 

That blows! You can't even trust the box anymore. I don't have the time to call the company of every product I buy. Companies should be more reliable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 pm 

This is from the Danone website:

Quote:
13-Can I consume Cardivia__ if I am allergic to fish?

As a precaution, individuals who are allergic to fish should avoid eating Cardivia.
The Food Allergy Research & Resource Program Laboratory of the University of Nebraska has analysed samples of the fish oil used in Cardivia__. Them results show that Cardivia__ should not pose an allergenic risk for individuals who are allergic to fish. The fish oil used in Cardivia__ is highly refined oil that has been bleached and deodorized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 pm 

I got an answer from Danone and people with fish allergy should not consume it as some proteins may be left.

It is writen in the ingredient lists... but who would read ingredients for fish in yogourt? :? Danone has mentionned to me that the label is going to change shortly to more clearly identify it as people don't expect it! mom didn't think of reading yogourt!!!!

But they also mentionned that other Danone products are not at risk for cross-contamination.

Mylène
(didn't include the e-mail here... it's in French ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:16 pm 

I also noticed that Arthur kids vitamins have fish in them. I am still strictly avoiding fish will both daughters due to my husbands allergy. I gave them away to a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 am 

Mylène wrote:
I got an answer from Danone and people with fish allergy should not consume it as some proteins may be left.

It is writen in the ingredient lists... but who would read ingredients for fish in yogourt? :? Danone has mentionned to me that the label is going to change shortly to more clearly identify it as people don't expect it! mom didn't think of reading yogourt!!!!

But they also mentionned that other Danone products are not at risk for cross-contamination.

Mylène

I always read the ingredients of EVERYTHINTG, in both ENGLISH AND FRENCH, at the store and before eating it, even if it's a product I bought a 100 times before. Call me nuts, but it has potentially saved my life many times because I caught something where it was not suppose to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:42 am 

Mylène wrote:

Just an FYI.

If you ever want to translate something, google will do it for you. www.google.ca then click on *language tools*. You can put in a web address to get something (like a newspaper article) translated, or you can type in (or cut and paste) something specific you want translated.

It's not a perfect translation, but an on-line bilingual friend felt it was pretty accurate. (Examples of inaccuracies are a person will be referred to as he/she or sometimes it. :shock: )

'course for you - if it's small - it's probably easier to just write it up yourself. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:46 am 

As a professional translator, I hate those "machine translations" but I agree they are good for little things and to get the gist of the message. Anyway, I'd be happy to translate the email if you post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:48 am 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
I also noticed that Arthur kids vitamins have fish in them. I am still strictly avoiding fish will both daughters due to my husbands allergy. I gave them away to a friend.

Only the Iron-Fortified Formula has fish oil. The regular brand doesn't.. although I'd still contact the company and inquire about manufacturing processes and the possibility of cross-contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:11 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Mylène wrote:

Just an FYI.

If you ever want to translate something, google will do it for you. www.google.ca then click on *language tools*. You can put in a web address to get something (like a newspaper article) translated, or you can type in (or cut and paste) something specific you want translated.

It's not a perfect translation, but an on-line bilingual friend felt it was pretty accurate. (Examples of inaccuracies are a person will be referred to as he/she or sometimes it. :shock: )

'course for you - if it's small - it's probably easier to just write it up yourself. :)

As a professionnal translator, those machines are a slap in the face and I must agree with Storm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:32 pm 

If I wanted to include it all, I would have translated it no problem (no electronic translator for me! :? ), giving you the info in my words was a lot quicker ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:52 pm 

You can all put away your wet noodles now. I've been flogged enough. :P For all us lowly unilinguists, this is a great free service. :lol:

And youngvader, I did think of you the last time I got a page translated. I just think it's very rude to ask someone to do for free what they do for a living. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 am 

If It's short and not 3 pages long (and if I'm not swamped at work and I have free time), I'd be happy to take 10 mins to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, is there a co-relation between misfiring immune systems and language facility? I believe there's a third translator on this site somewhere, and certainly several bilinguals. :wink:

And I'm slapping my own self for deviating from the yogurt topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:32 pm 

LOL So, Gwen, are you saying I really can blame my parents for my allergies? They were bilingual. <slaps self in fore-head>