You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Frustration!
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:18 pm 

For the past month my friends and I have been trying to organize a group trip south for next winter. I told them right away that I would need to contact the resort and the airline before I would make my decision to go. I am very wary of traveling right now since I don't know much about my allergy and I haven't been to an allergist yet to answer all of my questions. I did my own research and found that WestJet is the best for working with customers with allergies and I found several resorts that are willing to accommodate me as long as I call them a week before to discuss my allergy and what I would need. The person booking the trip has also been doing research but has been ignoring my information. He asked me what I would need and I told him that I needed to know that the chef would be willing to cook my food separately, I would be able to order off a menu and make adjustments instead of eating at a buffet, and I would need access to ingredient lists. I thought he understood that it was tree nuts but I received an email from him today saying that all his resorts are peanut safe and that all airlines have stopped selling/giving out peanuts! (ya right). I have given him many examples of tree nuts and have explained the differences between tree nuts and peanuts. He still doesn't get it :banghead I was really looking forward to a trip with my friends. This would be my first trip without my parents and my first since I graduated university. I have a feeling that I am not going to be able to go since he doesn't understand and will not listen to my suggestions on where we should go even after he told me to let him know what was safe for me. I am so frustrated right now! :verymad I don't know how to make him understand. The group thinks I am over reacting, they know this is new and that I haven't had a serious reaction but after reading about some of the reactions of people here I think I need to take this very seriously especially if I am going away to a place that doesn't have good health care.

sorry that was very long and winded but I needed to vent to someone who understand :oops:

ps we really need a smilie with steam coming out of his ears because thats how I feel right now...

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

Post subject: Re: Frustration!
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:50 am 

Dear Sarah,

Sorry to hear you are feeling stressed about this. I can totally relate to you, as travel is one of the most stressful parts of my life. Before you give up though, search this forum for the topics on travel, and check out articles previously written in the Allergic Living magazine. You should be able to find some good tips that will help you. One of the coping skills that helps me the most, is to bring a lot of my own food. I always make sure I have several safe snacks with me while travelling, so that if I feel unsure about a certain restaurant, I can have my snacks, while my family dines. It's not perfect all the time, but it allows me to experience the trip with less stress. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Admin

Oh Sarah! What you need, is a direct conversation with the food management of the resorts he has in mind. Too much gets watered down when you are going through a third person (who doesn't get it).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am 

Completely agree about not going through an un-educated third party. They do not know what questions to ask especially if they do not know the difference between a peanut and a tree nut.

My daughter will be going on a trip organized by someone else and she will be taking a suitcase of safe food because she knows that she may just be having a beverage at some meals. We equated it to Survivor where they may get weak but as long as they have water and a bit of food you will survive!