You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:33 pm 

Thank god I can cook, makes things easier. I am struggling though with trying to make rice yogurt, so if anyone has advice on how to get it thick I would appreciate your help. Also looking for suggestions for pasta sauces that don't involve cheese or tomato.

Also have any of you tried to do rotation of your foods? Have you been successful? with what level of sensitivity have you dared to broach? And if so, how many days in between eating said items. Where is a good resource for food families. I find the rotation thing to be very complex and hard to really grasp well and don't want to do the wrong thing. If anyone can help simplify this for me I would be most appreciative.

Linda L

:dungetit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Hello Linda! Glad you found us. If you look above, you'll see a green banner of topics. Click on the section marked "recipes" and you can use the advanced search too to search for recipes without certain words. Maybe you can find some pasta sauces there.

I'm not sure what your allergens are but you can really toss your pasta with anything. I whiz up fresh basil with olive oil, garlic and salt for a dairy free, nut free pesto. *hint-if you want a bright green colour, add some raw spinach!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:02 pm 

Hi Linda,

My son used to be very allergic to tomatoes (all the nightshades in addition to his current list of allergens) and I would make him a 'nomato' sauce for his pasta which he loved. You start with boiling a whole butternut squash (peeled and diced) with 2 large onions in just enough water to cover them. You simmer that for about 20 minutes and then add 2-3 beets (peeled and diced) and boil for an additional 10-15 minutes until they are soft. Let the whole thing cool down and then puree it in the blender. Add spices like garlic, basil and oregano and a little salt and sugar to taste and simmer the puree for an additional 10 minutes. It looks and feels just like tomato sauce (assuming the ratio of beets to squash is right) and has a nice mild taste. Use this as a base sauce to add meat or other vegetables to serve with any kind of pasta. It also freezes really well, so I would make one large batch and then freeze it in smaller servings. The only real difference I noticed is that if you are serving it with rice pasta, it will stain the pasta a little pink (because of the beet juice).

I hope this helps.

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hi Linda and Welcome!

Yes, I likewise have adult onset allergies to a whole slew of things and find it difficult to eat out, as I am a bit of a "foodie" and used to consider trying new dishes and new restaurants one of my favorite hobbies. You may also want to try websites like Epicurious and America's Test Kitchen or Cook's Illustrated. Their websites have some free content, but also require an online subscription. It isn't terribly expensive, and I have learned some good cooking methods (and with some creativity) where I can swap ingredients to make allergy safe meals.

Last night my finance and I looked in the fridge to see what we could make for dinner and ended up making pasta with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil and garlic whisked together. You can also try using a red wine vinegar or a dash of cooking sherry. You can add some shredded basil for an extra twist.

Good luck! And you can always check your local library for cookbooks for folks with food allergies. There are some good cookbooks out there - though most center around gluten-free cooking, there are some cookbooks that are more general and give more method on alternatives you can use instead of using an allergic ingredient.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:52 am 

Hi Linda,

I used to be a foodie and now I also find myself limited in choice. I make a pasta sauce with olives you may like to try. In a frying pan add about 2 tbsp of olive oil add 1-3 your choice cloves minced garlic (I love garlic) add 2 anchovies (if your allergic you can omit them) smash them up a bit sauté till golden add your favorite olives about a cups worth and slice them into rounds (you can buy sliced olives if you like.) add 1 tbsp of capers sauté just a little longer and your done salt pepper to taste toss on your favorite pasta(its best to reserve a little of the pasta water to add to the sauce like 1/4 cup maybe less you can add it to your taste.

I similarly do a combo of this concoction with bacon and soy free mayo to make cold pasta salad.