Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What do you miss most?
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Dd will never know the taste and texture of real cheese, meringe, pavlova, scrambled eggs etc. She doesn't really know what she's missing.
What do you miss the most?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am 

ohh, I miss most the spuds. I was raised on potatoes, they are a part of our "culture". I miss mashed potatoes and gravy, french fries, dill pickle chips, oven roased potatoes, baked spuds with butter and bacon bits and cheese..... I also miss all of the little things - like the candies that they decided to coat in potato starch (why oh why??). Have you ever took a good read at how many things contain potatoes, potato starch or potato flour?? And dh wonders why it takes me so long to shop now a days.

I've gotten used to avoiding the fruits I can't have (though there are many). I've even now, mostly, adjusted to the no tree nuts thing (but I will admit to missing and LONGING for the good chocolates), but the POTATOES.......

Dawne

DD (2003)- ana to mosquitos (risk all stinigng insects)

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Shrimp
Lobster with drawn butter
Linguine with clams
Mussels!

I've had dreams where I'm eating either shrimp or mussels - I mean WT...

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:06 pm 

I have never really had peanuts/tree nuts or coconut just the thought of them makes my skin crawl so I never feel the desire for them. But as an adult got allergic to pork and oatmeal, now I would like to have a nice ham with honey mustard sauce but Oatmeal that is what I really miss. I use to love oatmeal in the morning or oatmeal cookies with raisins or chocolate or apple crisp... Ya I really miss Oatmeal. Home made bars made with oatmeal....
Oh ya I have always wished I could try a crispy crunch they look good. Given more time my mind would remember all the things I block out and would love to have.

O.K. time to quit pinning

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 am 

I miss being able to buy hotdog or hamburger buns.

I also miss being able to just pop in somewhere and buy a quick dinner (you know, when you're getting home late unexpectedly and don't have anything quick ready). Chinese Food.....

I guess, you could say it's the convenience I miss.

And Eatmore bars. They were a special treat my dad used to get me very rarely.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 pm 

Funny, it was the eatmore bars I missed most too when I was waiting to be tested to see if I was ana to peanuts. Lucky for me it turns out I am not but chinese and eatmore topped my list. Now it is a crunchy apple or a juicy peach I miss most. In the summer I used to live on fruit salad made with fresh fruit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 pm 

I miss Chicken Noodle soup when I have a cold. I miss the Cod at Culvers. They can't make GF cod.

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:41 pm 

I miss being able to eat out carefree, try new foods with the family, stop at a small bakery when travelling for buns or baked goods. I miss going to a restaurant without calling ahead/grilling the wait staff. Although I try to bring good homemade cakes etc for parties my kids go to, I wish they could have what others are having. But the worst I would say is that I miss going to an ice cream parlour on a hot day in the summer, and looking over all the flavours before deciding what kind to have, and what kind of cone. I am sad that my kids will never know what that's like...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Also really miss - fish and chips.

When the fish has a nice thin, crisp batter; the fries are just so ...

They always have to go and put breaded shrimp in the darn fryer to widen the fish shop menus - thereby contaminating the oil for we shellfish (but not fish) allergic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:48 am 

I agree with Becky. It's not just one food I miss, but the carefree way non-allergic people can eat. I miss eating something without having to research it first. I miss being one of the group, and not the odd person who everyone asks "why aren't you eating with us?" I miss not having to call before every function and not having to worry so much. I have pretty much gotten used to not being able to eat certain foods though.

Mind you, I also miss the days I could do sports without aching afterwards, climb the stairs without knees popping, and read without taking my glasses off!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 am 

soccermom wrote:
Mind you, I also miss the days I could do sports without aching afterwards, climb the stairs without knees popping, and read without taking my glasses off!!!

Touche!

There are many things we miss but are fortunate to have an incredible teenager who will say "Oh, since I'm not going out for dinner you can go anywhere you want!" We still have a tough time with that though. Hard to eat foods that she could not eat.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 am 

Travelling with ease would be what we miss. Our daughter would like to go on the Europe trip with high school but I think you would have to sedate me for the duration of her trip...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:08 pm 

walooet wrote:
Travelling with ease would be what we miss. Our daughter would like to go on the Europe trip with high school but I think you would have to sedate me for the duration of her trip...
, Boy, do I ever hear you! I find it so weird to just be able to say "yes" so easily with my DS (no life-threatening allergies) and am saddened when I think of all the things my DD has missed out on and will in the future.

I also miss my DH's omlette's-it was the only thing he cooked. Ironic. Oh, and yorkshire pudding with my roast beef. And breakfast (eggs)for supper nights, although we do eat pancakes sometimes for our evening meal.

Michele

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 am 

soccermom wrote:

I can relate! I have to get rx readers now.

Traveling with ease: I'm wondering how I can do UK with my list. :rofl Actually, I have a plan. Its to save up 10x the amount I need so I can rent a place with a kitchen. Doing Bemidji with my family, however, may be an issue because of my Dad and what he will tolerate. He still thinks that 'eating it for one meal' won't cause any symptoms, reactions, etc. that we should be concerned about. :freak We eat out as a family for 1 meal. Bemidji is not known for its GF Vegan meals. Yes! Thats what I'll do. I'll sneak Tofu into the restaurant and plop it on my salad. Solved. :popcorn Health regulations would love that one! :rofl

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:10 pm 

right now I am desperately missing the big bowl of mixed nuts in the shell. I so want to sit and wolf down a few pounds of them.

and I start thinking....maybe I can eat just a few.....haven't had a reaction in ages.....maybe I've outgrown my allergies. this is the thinking that gets me in trouble. I start being less careful and end up eating something I shouldn't. Doubly dangerous during the holiday season....people coming and going, and us traveling. I have to stay on my toes....but I don't want to. I want to eat a big bowl of mixed nuts in the shell. :verymad