You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am 

Just saw a very interesting post on Chapman's Ice Cream Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ChapmansIceCream): they have a separate peanut-free manufacturing facility with a dedicated group of employees working on nut-free products in order to eliminate any contamination. With multiple levels of quality control and complete isolation of nut-free products they make sure to make the safest product on the market. They even show a photo of both production facilities. I only wonder why such practice is not mandatory throughout food industry.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 pm 

What exactly is the name of their facebook page? I can't find it...

Mind boggling that more companies don't do the allergen separation voluntarily! There is not a peanut/tree-nut free ice cream in the US which really surprises me.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:37 pm 

I grew up in a town near the Chapmans Facility. The only reason they have 2 facilities is because their original factory was destroyed by fire in 2006 (I believe) and they rented a new smaller factory until their new one was built. They decided with all the allergies to make the smaller factory nut and gluten free! They also have dairy free but I'm not sure about cross contamination with the dairy free since it is in the same factory as the dairy products.
I think Chapmans has done an amazing job of providing ice cream to those of us with pn/tn allergies. I am hoping they will continue to add flavors to their line of pn/tn free products since there are very few at the moment.
I'm really surprised there isn't a company in the states that has caught onto this :scratchy Hopefully soon

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:44 am 

Sarah388 wrote:
I am hoping they will continue to add flavors to their line of pn/tn free products since there are very few at the moment.

Between ice cream and novelties I think they have a lot of variety. Have you tried the cookies and cream? It is yummy! We find that Giant Tiger has the best selection by far of Chapman's products.