You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sea Salt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 am 

Hi everyone...haven 't been on in a while. I wanted this question in it's own thread rather than a specific area so everyone spots it. For a while everything seemed to contain the famous DHA Omega 3.
Now.....everything seems to have changed to SEA SALT as the new wonder. :roll:
Have any of you had a reaction to sea salt? My sister's lips made her look like a platapus.
The Mayo Clinic has stated that there are microscopic shellfish in sea salt. Anyone hear of this?
Have a great day! :)

Post subject: Re: Sea Salt
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Ugh!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:53 am 

I have been trying to navigate around Mayo Clinic's website to confirm the numerous comments I have read saying the Mayo clinic stated sea salt contains the microscopic shellfish. It is such a hard site to find the info I want. So many products now use it. Watched an ad the other night for Cavendish fries and they said there is a sprinkling of sea salt added. Great! :( Has anyone else come across a factual article on microscopic shellfish in sea salt?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm 

I cannot verify the accuracy of this information; however, I found some information regarding this, both in an answer in another part of the forum (Fish and Shellfish - topic: Hot dogs, sausage, etc.) As well, I found this specific reference on another allergy forum:
http://ehealthforum.com/health/sea-salt ... 34409.html

Here's the posting:

"I became allergic to shellfish at age 42 after eating a good deal of it in my adult life. Naturally I stopped eating it after that, which left me as a vegetarian, basically. Then I tried to eat mostly organic foods and found that if I ate prepared foods at health food stores or restaurants, I would frequently have the same reaction as though I had eaten shellfish.

I finally determined that the culprit was Sea Salt , and was informed by a doctor at the Mayo Clinic that sea salt contains "marine copolymers" (which another doctor told me was a fancy word for the microscopic shellfish that are contained in sea salt). So while I admire the properties of sea salt and all the wonderful things it can do for many people, I feel that those who are allergic to shellfish should be warned that sea salt may cause them to have allergic reactions. (In my case, that's a huge swelling of the glands in my neck, and lots of pain.)

I also avoid milk, but was unable to switch to commercially prepared soy or rice milk, as I have found not a single manufacturer of those milks that doesn't include sea salt as an ingredient."

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 pm 

Thanks Julie, for your reply. I too have seen this same article. Actually I have seen it repeated on numerous sites. My problem is I cannot verify what she has stated. As I cannot find my way around their website.....My next recourse is to drop the Mayo Clinic an email asking them if they have ever made this statement. With so many products now using it, I feel we who are allergic to shellfish/crustaceans should be made aware.....if this is truly their medical response. I too became anaphylactic as an adult after eating seafood my entire life. Still miss it and the ad on TV with the lobster tails is driving me nuts. If I get a response from the Mayo Clinic I will definetly post their response.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am 

FYI - Unsweetened Natura soy milk does not use sea salt.

Otherwise, this topic is very interesting and something I have wondered for a while. I received some fancy sea salt from Australia a while back and the label said 'may contain shellfish'. Curious.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:41 pm 

I have also wondered about "nori" (dried seaweed used for rolling sushi) and whether it also "may contain" fish/shellfish? My husband is Japanese, and we make vegetarian sushi using nori quite often, and we've never had a problem, but I've wondered about the possibility.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 am 

Hi Spacecanada....would you, by chance, remember the company name of that fancy sea salt from Australia? I am trying to track down some kind of proof that it may be dangerous to those anaphylactic to shellfish - therefore should be added to allergy list under shellfish. I am trying to convince both Maple Leaf and McCain foods to stop using it just in case it is fact. So far no luck, but with facts I may get somewhere. I would really like to try the natural meats Maple Leaf has but am afraid to until I find out if they are safe or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:55 am 

I do not have the salt any more - we used it up. :( The warning could have had nothing to do with the salt itself, as maybe shellfish were produced in the same facility, so that's no help. Try looking for a study on the subject - surely if this is true someone has put research into it. Try contacting some major sea salt manufacturers, not the large corporations, but the ones that only deal in sea salt - they may have better resources.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm 

Thanks Spacecanada, I will see if I can find a contact in the Sea Salt business.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

How frightening. I hope the fad passes soon. Souns like better labelling is needed if cross contam is an issue.