You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Spring Has Sprung!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:26 pm 

I have been really looking forward to spring after this long cold winter. We finally have some relatively nice weather and what happens? Allergies start right away. I usually don't have problems until May with the grass and trees. I woke up this morning and my eyes were watering and my nose itchy. My daughter has been sneezing for a couple of days. I thought it was a cold coming on until yesterday when she had the deep red allergy line on her nose from rubbing it. She hasn't had seasonal allergy issues in the past. So, we both took a Claritin this morning.

Is anybody else in the same boat? Has anybody tried that allergy product that is suppose to line the inside of your nose to block the allergens...I think it's called Nasal Ease or something like that? I'm looking for different form of allergy relief as antihistamines aggravate my RLS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:11 pm 

omg!! i'm glad i'm not the only one!! my allergies started a couple of mondays ago in full force, then it got cold again and my sinuses went nuts, and it's warmed up again and the last three days the non-skin allergies have been driving me CRAZY

i haven't tried that brand of allergy medictin but i've taken flonaze and something else in the past when my spring allergies have gone insane, and it worked REALLY well, i just found that my nose would be dryer and i'd end up with more severe nose bleeds, i usually just get a little bit of blood when i blow my nose cause it's dry (gross i know), but while i was on those meds i'd wake up with blood dripping, i couldn't handle that so that's why i don't take them anymore, the nice happy un-itchy nose just didn't out weigh my fear of seeing my own blood (i have no prob with needles, but i have problems with blood work cause sometimes you get an accidently peak at the vials i'm odd)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:21 am 

My youngest has been having problems and we were suspecting environmental allergies. Sigh. You get out of winter with all the colds and risk of asthma flares, and then you start spring with all its problems!!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:01 pm 

I thought I was having some more environmental allergy problems. But it's hard for me to say because I have indoor and outdoor allergies . . . there ares so many possible factors. I look forward to the spring anyhow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:11 am 

My daughter and husband both started with symptoms this week. We have left cold season and now allergy season begins. Kleenex has been on sale at No Frills and I have been stocking up!

We saw a new allergist last week. We did some environmental testing. Birch and ragweed were a huge positive and also maple. We were not surprised. The doctor prescribed a nasal spray and eye drop (finally we got patanol). He suggested starting with these soon to get her into a routine of taking them. At 5 she is not exactly cooperative at taking eye drops and nose spray.

What is budding or floating in the air at this time of year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:01 pm 

katec -- the Weather Network has a tool to help figure out seasonal allergies.
Go to: http://weathernetwork.ca/health/index.htm and then select "Pollen Forecast" and then select the region you are closest to. It seems as though it's not yet up and running (should be starting up any time because it says the tool starts up again in the "spring") but for now, it lists when each of the specified allergens are historically shown to be active. For Ontario -- April looks pretty active for all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:25 am 

Thanks, we were registered last year. Hopefully it will start up again soon.