You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:54 am 

We have enjoyed real Christmas trees in our home for the last 4 years, and our sons have not reacted to them.
This year we bought a scotch pine (in the past it's been douglas or balsam firs), from a different store (we're newly relocated to Winnipeg). One of my sons was helping us to set it up, crouching under the tree screwing in the little parts on the tree stand. About 20 minutes later I went to pop him in for a bath, and noticed that his back was covered in hives! As well as his legs where he'd been kneeling on the carpet beneath the tree.
Meanwhile my other son who'd been playing in the next room started to cough, and a few minutes later his eyes were surrounded by little, tiny hives, and puffed up, and he was sneezing and sniffling miserably
Needless to say, the tree is now out on the back deck, and my sons are feeling much better, but quite disappointed.
Before we got our 1st real tree, I had researched online about evergreens/allergies, and we're thinking that mold must be the culprit. I found this article today:
http://www.aaaai.org/patients/topicofth ... 104/#truth
It suggests having the tree "shaken"? I've also heard that some people hose the trees down, then let them dry out in the garage for a few days.
So just wondering what other families with environmental allergies do? The big question for next year will be, do we try another real tree or go with artificial?
And tree or no tree, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE :D !

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:33 pm 

i'm totally allergic to real christmas trees, we only had real trees for a couple of years when i was growing up (my cat had destroyed our first by sleeping in it) and until that cat left this mortal coil (he was very sick) my parents refused to buy an expenive artifical tree he'd break again, the year i developed allergies (i was fifteen) we had a real tree, and i was MISERABLE, i was sneezing all the time, my eyes were watery, ect i'd find excuses to go to my best friend's place (about a block away) cause they had a fake tree and i felt SO much better there.

my sisters were pretty mad at me since they loved the smell and look of fianlly having a real tree, and they still tease me about it to this day (although i do give them they are both living on their own with artifical trees). a lot people ask me if the dust from the articial bothers me at all, and in comparison to the real thing i can handle it. i sometimes go visiting where there is a real tree, and it sends me running for anti-histimines.

as for the suggestion on the website of leaving it outside and shaking it off. my father would put the tree ontop of the car (that should have given it a good shake) and he always used to let it "settle" he'd call it in the garge for like a day (which ticked my sister and me off cause we wanted to decorate it) for the branches to fall natrually after it had been bundles so i'm guessing that sometimes it's not really enough.

articial trees go on mega clearance after xmas even the awsome fiberoptic ones. and if next year something in the articial tree effects anyone's allergies (moreso then the real one) you could always sell to someone who needs one!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:34 pm 

There are different types of trees to use for a Christmas tree, why not just buy a different kind of tree you aren't allergic to, other wise talk to your husband and explain that Christmas is about happiness and family and loving etc...Surely your happiness (not having a reaction) is more important than having a tree in his house :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am 

After last year's swift and unpleasant reaction to the Christmas tree (or rather moulds on the tree), we decided we didn't want to mess around with a real one anymore. We had 4 real trees in our home that they didn't react to...no hives, or puffy eyes, but I'm betting the trees contributed to their annual Christmas "cold". Anyway, we felt like it was a bit like playing Russian roulette (will this year's tree be a mouldy one or a clean one?), and after the really tough fall that one of our sons had, we felt that it really wasn't worth it.

Our sons were disappointed, and resistant to the idea of a fake tree, but we found a really realistic looking one that changed their minds:

http://tiny.cc/7hm0e

It's really quite amazing...all it's missing is the scent ( :( ), and the mould ( :D ). And the cost will be negligible after a few years, since we were paying $60-70 for a big live tree each year anyway. I thought I'd share in case anyone else with environmental allergies is looking for a good looking artificial tree.

And an interesting article on Christmas trees and allergens:

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspap ... 5050.story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

I couldn't get the url to work.

I like the idea of artificial trees. You can put them up when ever you feel like and not have to worry about it drying out before Christmas. You also don't have to worry about the needles falling out.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:36 pm 

the article worked for me,and it's really interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:50 am 

Both urls are working for me, so I don't know why they're not working for everybody?

The tree I was talking about is the Noma self-shaping pine tree from Canadian Tire. It looks really, really real! Now we just have to make sure it's stored really well after Christmas so it doesn't get dusty, or we'll just be trading one allergy in for another :roll:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

OK, it worked for me I just didn't go beyond the Canadian Tire page that asked for your postal code. :oops:
That is pretty neat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:28 am 

A 'real' christmas tree is lovely, but i can't imagine ever wanting to do the amount of work to (hopefully) demould the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:32 am 
Site Admin

With Christmas fast approaching, I thought I'd bump up this thread. The article on Christmas trees and mould seems to have been taken down but I was able to find this article that was released around the same time.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... e=&no_ads=