You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 am 

Hello, I'm starting a new topic on this, since the thread to which I initially posted has dissolved into a relationship discussion.

Will washing bed linens in very hot water eliminate cat dander? I bought a set of waterbed sheets off the internet and later found out that the lady who made them has a cat. Although I had already washed them on the super-hot setting on my washer, I don't want to use them til I know for sure.

My allergy nurse said she "thought I'd be OK", which didn't make me very confident.

And please don't tell me to get my linens elsewhere. They are the only ones I have ever found that actually fit the bed and stay on it. I just want to know if any has a definitive answer to the question of whether or not hot water washing will eliminate cat dander. Surely there is some answer out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:29 am 

B2skier, I looked up online how to get rid of cat dander (as I'm sure you have already so I aplolgize in advance if this is redundant). Everything I see about reducing dander in a home says (along with other tips) to wash linens to avoid dander, so, I assume if you wash them a couple times on a double rinse, in hot water they should be Ok. What are they made of...just regular sheets or the plastic cover for the waterbed?
My girlfriend (highly allergic to cats) bought a townhouse where the previous owner had cats. She had the carpets cleaned a few times in a row and then never had any trouble with the dander bothering her. Again, this isn't the concise answer you were looking for but I would guess that washing (well) should remove any dander which would bother you.

Good luck and I hope someone has a better answer for you.

Quote:
Wash any machine-washable items such as furniture slipcovers, bed sheets and pillowcases in the washing machine. Use the hottest water setting allowed by the fabric manufacturer.

------------------------
This site doesn't have such good news, it says even after washing this person's bedding still caused a reaction. Maybe it is different for each person depending on the type of cat/allergy level/humidity etc.. :scratchy I guess that takes you back to only by trial and error will you really know for certain....and is it worth the risk of triggering a reaction...and then the dander you have released into your washing machine/home?????

http://www.mamapedia.com/article/how-to ... cat-dander

Quote:
My sister gave me a beautiful comforter set w/ sheets for my spare room. The bedroom it was in at her house is where her black cat slept. I am HORRIBLY allergic to cats. She washed the whole set and gave it to me. As I was putting the bed together, my allergies went haywire. AHA! She washed the bedding in the same washer as she washes everything else so the dander stayed. I rewashed it all in hot water, put it back on the bed and still I had an allergy attack. Can anyone recommend something that I can wash/put on the bedding to completely remove the dander? I have guests coming next week and I would like to have the room up and running properly.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:12 pm 

Thank you all for the replies. It sounds like this is not worth the risk.