You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:52 pm 

My youngest is currently still sleeping in a toddler bed. It's time for a "big girl bed" and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about mattresses. We would go for a heavy duty mattress cover, but for the mattress itself, I have heard that some give off chemical odours and others are worse for dust mites, and that some contain down. I checked the asthma friendly products and they only have toys and pillows. Any suggestions?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:57 pm 

when i bought my own matteress i asked about an allergy/dust cover and they sold it to me with my matress, the woman was very knowledgeable and told me that this is what i wanted it cost me 65 dollars for a double and it's marked on the bill as a "health guard pad" i've missplaced the warrenty sheet for it at the moment so that might not be it's acutal name and i don't have brand name for it... it didn't seem to have an chemicals, or ordors to it, i'm not sure about down however because it's not a concern that i have myself i washed it before i used it the first time and i had no reaction to it what-so-ever

i do know that it is good for dustmites and other such allergens, and it is gaurenteed for five years if taken care of properly, aka cleaned about every three months it's a very thick sheet, is super easy to clean (tho water sometimes pools in corners and you think that your washer is broken!!), i can get it back on my bed myself (something i was never able to do with store brand ones with no gaurntee), i'm not sure if it protects again nightime accidents for a young child, but i'm sure it can be used with something for that if need be...

it's also made bedtime better for me i don't have such itchy skin, i haven't woken up and needed to take a bath to calm my skin since i got my new matress and protective sheet so check out local matress stores, and talk to the sales people. seriously the one i have was worth every penny i paid for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:41 pm 

When we bought my sons' big boy mattresses we opted for the thinner, less expensive foam types rather than a traditional mattress and box spring, thinking that they would be less territory for dust mites and we could replace them more often for a fresh start. But they were TOXIC. We had to air them out for several weeks, before we used them. Then we put them into mattress covers (we opted for the vinyl kind that encases the mattress completely, to protect against any nightime "accidents" as well as dust mites,...we also had to air those out, then covered it with a machine washable cotton mattress pad for comfort).
When we bought our mattress we purchased a floor model, hoping that the worst of the outgassing would have already taken place. And although I'm sure it was better than one straight out of the plastic, I still couldn't go near it for several weeks (I have some chemical sensitivities).
So in summary, yes mattresses can be really full of chemicals. Next time we'll probably opt for something like a cotton futon mattress instead.
And as far as dust mites go each of the major manufacturers (Serta, Sealy etc.) seems to have a model about which they make dust mite resisitant/ anti microbial claims. I have no idea what this is based on though.
Hope that's helpful. Good luck with the "big girl" transition.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:35 pm 

I looked at mattresses and pretty much all of them will give off chemical odours for a while. I have read futon mattresses (specifically 100% cotton ones) do not give off chemical odours. Has anyone actually slept on a futon mattress...specifically a 100% cotton one? Are they comfortable?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:09 pm 

i had a friend who changed to a futon because of her allergies (i know really bad dust and environmental, and i think chemical), she said at first it was like a pillow and she loved it to peices her words were "it was like sleeing on a cloud" after about a year she HATED it got all hard and lumpy and stuff

at a different friend's place they have a futon in the spare room where i stay and i'll sleep on the floor before i sleep on that stupid futon, and for my allergies taking the floor is prolly pretty stupid cause it's carpeted but that futon just sucks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:55 pm 

We have a futon in the spare room, it's the old-fashioned kind, on a simple pine slat frame that folds up into a loveseat style. I guess the ones they have now are probably a bit fancier. Our doesn't get used often but I increased the comfort a bit by doing the following:
-I had 2 portable-type mattresses, they're about 4 inches thick, maybe 20 inches wide, they fold up, I think they were from Costco years ago. I put these on top of the pine frame, but under the futon mattress. Now you can't feel the slats through.
-I placed a mattress pad on top of the futon mattress. Just the standard mattress pad people add for comfort.
I think the trick with futons is to go thick thick thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:23 pm 

I'm afraid the mattress industry has really taken advantage of us. First they will take your old mattresses (you know the ones that didn't have potent chemical smells) free and discard them. How nice of them....Secondly, every single mattress I've purchased (5-6) had a chemical odor; whether it be the foam used or the flame retardant chemical; can't really say. Some outgassed; some never did.

I think we should all complain and demand mattresses without that chemical odor. I know they can make them but just don't. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:38 pm 

We've grappled with this... once we are out of risk for night time accidents, I'd like to buy a natural rubber mattress for our girl. I know this thread was old, but thought it might be of interest to some. They are $$$ but apparently very comfy (we know people with them) and in terms of allergy friendly, worth it?

Here's a link as a sample:
http://www.allergybuyersclubshopping.co ... tress.html

Post subject: mattress/pillow
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:06 pm 

I am allergic to all chemicals, organic wool/cotton and latex..
anybody have any ideas on what type of mattress I can get? pillow too...I know I am OK with 100% cotton that has been washed and not organic (has oil seeds)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:40 pm 

I have severe allergies and when I bought my new mattress they had these mattress covers that are hypoallergenic and then dust mites and mold will never accumulate, you just simply wash the cover. It has been a life saver pretty much cause I don't wheeze or sneeze at night anymore. I also bought a hypoallergenic pillow cover, but you have to make sure you go for the expensive brand, the cheap ones make the pillow stiff. I call my bedroom "the safe zone", its the only place that is allergen free & that I can go when I feel crappy. I have to wear a dust mask when I go outside..all summer its not fun at all. I hope this helps.

Post subject: dust mite covers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 am 

thanks Amandah, however, I am allergic to what is under the cover. covers are good for dust mites, not for the off gassing of the chemicals and latex.