You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:21 am 

He's had an allergy to cats, he usual reaction is watery eyes, and runny nose. Depending on how long we've been there he'll start coughing. I usually give him claritin if we know where we are going they have a cat.

We visited my in-laws and they have 2 cats, the cats usually aren't around much when we are there so he usually doesn't touch them...he still reacts even with having the claritin. This last visit he was petting the cat it was a hot day and the cat was laying on the cold kitchen floor. Within 10mins of him petting the cat his eyes were swelling up his one side of the face was going very red. There was a piece of cat hair just under his one eye that was swelling up. My sister-in-law quickly washed his face and I ran home to get him some Benadryl(we only live about a 4 mins drive away). Within about 20 mins after the Benadryl the swelling had gone down.

I have learned 2 lessons. One not to let him pet a cat..very hard with a 4 year old. And second to always have Benadryl with me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:23 pm 

I have found with my son sometimes the cats don't bother him much, and other times it's really bad. I think it might relate to when his other allergens are active. You know, if he's been dealing with mould in the grass all week, the cat sander just kind of outs him over the edge.

The worst was two days before his brother's wedding and he was in the wedding party. His face was still a bit swollen on the Saturday morning, but seemed fine by the time of the wedding.