You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:10 pm 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... 91704.html

This is very interesting to me...we gave a lot lot lot of thought before we got out Darned Dog...or as I will refer to him as DD in this thread.

The biggest worry was "what if it doesn't work out because of allergies" (we knew a cat was out). When I was a kid, we always had cats (mostly farm- outside) and at least one border collie (outside, working- we raised sheep)....I put up w/stuffyness cuz I loved em, not like Debbie loves em http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc :huggy ...Dh & Ds absolutely cannot) so after checking for sure that grandparents were on board w/having a dog him if it didn't we got "our anchor" (sorry, I guess I have many names for him). He is poodle on his fathers side and his mom is a Kerry Blue Terrier. French and irish, just like me, only the opposite way. He has hair, not fur, and does not shed....but when he is brushed, he gives up about a dime size of soooo soft downlike fuzz. Does he cause allergy problems? I know at the very least he brings in an awful lot of the outside stuff.....we don't allow him upstairs (bedrooms) or in the basement, leather furniture, and a dyson....the carpets are going out soon. Anyway, my opinion --- what works for some will not work for all.

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:19 pm 

My puppy was "hypo-allergenic", half poodle and half shihtzu. The second I brought her home I knew I was going to have a problem, I had itchy eyes and a stuffy nose in the car bringing her home :? . I started taking a Reactine every morning, about a month later I only needed one every other day and eventually, I didn't have to take any at all. I'm fine with her now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:55 pm 

Thank you for that CBC article. We have had reactions in homes with "hypoallergenic" dogs so it is good to hear the scoop on it so we have info ready for when a family coming to stay for a weekend wants to bring their dog.