You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:26 pm 

If my nasal rhinitis can't be controlled by other means my allergist is going to recommend allergy shots. (I know there's a discussion about allergy shots elsewhere...but I can't remember where!) It sounds like it will be a year round thing since I'm allergic to tree pollen, grasses, ragweed, mould, dust among other things.

I'm just wondering what questions I should ask my allergist in order to make an informed decision about this.

here's what I thought of so far:

1) one member of my immediate family tried allergy shots for a number of years with no marked improvement. Does that indicate that I would be less likely to respond to treatment as well? (I imagine there's no answer to this question---there are too many factors--but I'll raise the issue anyways.)

2) what factors make someone a good candidate for allergy shots?

3) Is there a possibility that I might have a primary immune deficiency and if so would that affect the decision? (An aside here: I don't think that I have an immune deficiency at present--I don't get sick often. But when I was a child I was *always* sick and had ear infections that would just not go away. There was a period when I was in the doctor's office every single week with those ear infections--antibiotics didn't have an impact. I came across info. on the web on an IgA deficiency and those certainly seem to be symptoms.)

4) Is there a chance that allergy shots could make one more allergic? (from what I've read elsewhere on this board the answer to that is yes) What are the chances that I'll see an improvement?

Are there any other questions that I should be asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 pm 

Lisa;
I know at the Allergy Expo they talked about in Europe that you if you have more then one allergen they do not give the shots. I maybe corrected for how I have worded this.
I myself can not have the shots, they have tried 4 different times and the same reactions; this while I am a adult. The childhood testing my Nana knows nothing....
Anyways I have problems with them, my tongue swells, my throat all that stuff. My last try my arm was swollen for a month after the only shot. The Allergiest would not see me nor talk to my family Dr. We live 2 hours from the Allergiest. I spent all that money on the stuff for the shots.
My Auntie was able to have shots and they helped her. No one else has tried...
Good Luck
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:09 pm 

I had larger than normal reactions to the shots (bigger swelling at the spot of injection), but I have noticed a large improvement even if I have never really finished the whole treatment. I don't know if this had any impact on my other allergies...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:23 am 

Thanks for the replies. Kelly, it certainly sounds like it is best for you to stay away from those shots! Some people have anaphylactic reactions to them.

If the shots worked for you Mylene--in spite of a reaction to them--that gives me some hope since it sounds like we're in the same pollen allergy and oral allergy syndrome boat.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:11 pm 

I took allergy shots for years when I was a child. I reacted so badly to them when the does was increased that I'd come home and literally scratch my skin off. It did not alleviate any of my grass, pollen, weeds, etc allergies. I have heard that they work for some people but my experiences were not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:12 pm 

I took them for 2 years twice a week... and the dose was not to increase until I had a "normal reaction" so I never followed the chart and barely made it through half of the dosage that was recommended in twice the time. But before those shots, I was on 3 times the dose of antihistamine just to be able to go outside in the summer! Now, I even mow my own lawn :lol: . But the skin tests still show as extremely high for some reason... which could explain why the oral allergy thing is still around... but I do not need extra doses of antihistamine for the summer, which is great as I can now enjoy my summers without the puffy eyes and continuous sneezing!!!!

My mom took them too and she has not seen such a big improvement, but she as seen an improvement for sure... so the decision is yours. But do expect some scratching... it will do like a mosquito bite :wink: ... but for my opinion it was worth it, some people may not agree... I did establish records in the clinic that I went to as to the arm swelling and scratching part, all the doctors still remember me and no one since has come close to my reactions (which they don't necessarly think is a bad thing :wink: ).

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:24 pm 

Hi Laurensmom, one member of my immediate family and one member of my extended family didn't have a good experience with this either--although they didn't react to the shots or anything the shots just didn't help.

Mylene, That's quite the improvement :) --thanks for letting me know! Those allergy shots *are* time consuming...I'm a *little* bit nervous about the possibility of reacting but since I'm sure they'll be keeping an eye on me it should be fine. If my allergist decides that that is the route he thinks I should be going I'll go for it (and it certainly sounds like this is the next step). It would sure be great to get some relief from environmental allergies at least.