You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:19 pm 

Has anyone had any success in using an air purifier to reduce dust mite allergy?

As an experiment, I confine myself to a small room with no carpet (a bathroom, actually), put a hepa air purifier inside and let it run for a few hours. But I'm just as allergic inside the room as the rest of the house.

I also put an air particle counter inside the room. I can see the large particle counter gradually decreased to zero, and the small particle count decreased from a few hundred to a single digit. Apparently the few particle that remains is still triggering my allergy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

I do think ours helps in the bedroom, and my mother swears hers makes a huge difference in her apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am 

I don't know if a few hours exposed to clean air would be enough to reduce the allergy symptoms. I think it's a long-term solution that may take a few days to feel the benefits. Try placing the purifier in your bedroom, as breathing the cleaner air throughout the night, every night, may provide better benefits. Just an idea - I have no expertise on this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 pm 

I have had an air purifier in my room since I was a kid and I think it helps. I can't sleep without it. I find that when I don't have it (when it breaks/needs a new filter or cleaning) I am stuffed up by morning and my eyes are itchy. I agree with spacecanada, you may need to have it in your room for a few days before you see any difference. The white noise also helps to cover the sounds in my apartment building ;)

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 am 

So I am looking on line as to what air purifier would be the best one to buy. When you look at the reviews one person will love it one person thinks its a piece of garbage. Anyone here have one they would like to recommend. I want one for a smaller room and a second one for a mid size room.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Here is a video on how to make one. Feed back from one allergy mom was that the current US cost was $32.00 and that there were noticeable results. If you aren't seeing results, you may want to consider materials in the room might be causing the symptoms. Look at off-gassing of new items, mold, etc. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5APw_ ... ata_player

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:44 pm 

Thanks for that Susan. Only thing is I think that is much too big to put in a small bedroom. I did go purchase two units to try (wanted to hear how quiet they were). One was the Honeywell table top for $60 that I liked the look of the best and the other was the Sunbeam table top for $50 not quite as nice looking BUT that is the one we kept as when it is on the lowest setting you can barely hear it. Planning to keep the bedroom door closed and run at all times. With runny nose, congestion, itchy watery eyes it will be nice to see if a bit of relief happens. Will keep you posted to any changes. :thumbsup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:23 pm 

So its been just over a week that I have had an air purifier running non stop in my room 24/7. I keep the door shut and windows shut. I normally wake up in the middle of the night because I am so congested I have to get up and try to clear out. Back to sleep and the same situation when my alarm goes off. This past week I have been sleeping through the night (not typical) and when I wake via the alarm I have no congestion!! This has happened night after night!! I really can only contribute it to the air purifier as nothing else has changed. Even my dry itchy eyes have gotten better upon waking. This is not to say during the day I have no issues as I am finding it a particularly bad allergy season. But I am sure pleased to be having a good night sleep. I really hope this continues. :happydance

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Admin

:thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:59 pm 

Is there an air quality sensor that people enjoy using? I am worried about allergens and VOCs