You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 pm 

There are fancy devices for breathing pure air in hazardous environments. They're expensive and have to be fit to the user.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a simpler system for allergy use. I don't have anaphylaxis problems, I'm just trying to deal with some grass that would wipe me out on a couple of minutes exposure--perfection isn't required.

I'm picturing something like an oxygen mask but fed from filtered air (or even just ordinary air through a long enough hose) rather than an oxygen system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 am 

I would check with your allergist about managing symptoms. Perhaps adding antihistamines, allergy shots, or the new hay fever tablets (for pollens and grasses) would be beneficial to you.

Otherwise, hardware stores and pharmacies sell N95 masks that are pretty good at blocking out pollens and some allergens. Add some goggles if your eyes are affected. Then there is always SCUBA gear, or oxygen tanks with nose tubes.

Ou may also want to read the spring 2015 edition of Allergic Living. There is a great section in there about managing hay fever.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Agree with SpaceCanada re ensuring control is manage. If it is, but you're still looking for an additional mask or device for occasional symptoms, this company makes personal portable air filters and masks.

We haven't reviewed recently, so not certain of effectiveness: http://www.weinproducts.com/minimate.htm

Before going to that expense, I'd speak to my doctor about the corticosteroid nasal sprays. They're a level of protection up from antihistamines, and many find they make a big difference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:31 am 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Agree with SpaceCanada re ensuring control is manage. If it is, but you're still looking for an additional mask or device for occasional symptoms, this company makes personal portable air filters and masks.

We haven't reviewed recently, so not certain of effectiveness: http://www.weinproducts.com/minimate.htm

Before going to that expense, I'd speak to my doctor about the corticosteroid nasal sprays. They're a level of protection up from antihistamines, and many find they make a big difference.

I haven't tried the nasal sprays, I've found antihistamines to be ineffective. For the most part I can avoid my environmental issues rather than use drugs on them anyway.

A mask that actually sticks on would certainly do a better job than the usual ones that let too much slip past.