You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm 

Hi Folks,

It has been so long since I have signed in, I am not sure how much has changed!

My DD had an anaphylactic reaction at an establishment just over a week ago after over a year of stability. Unfortunately, last weekend, after having bloodwork drawn and an adhesive tape over the cotton, we ended up back in the ER for several hours of treatment and observation.

This is her first "contact" type reaction in some time and has simply triggered such strong anxiety that she's having difficulties coping - at school and at home.

I am going to reach out to our family doc but at this point, I think I need to find resources and of course thought this would be the best place to turn in case anyone has advice of anything in their "toolkit".

Additionally, if you have any "Hall of Fame" type recommendation for support teams (social worker, psychologist etc) in Toronto or Vaughan, I would love to hear about them - here or by mail.

Your wisdom, advice would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 pm 

Hi Renie,

I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's reaction. Is your daughter allergic to latex by any chance? I'm wondering if there was latex in the adhesive.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your search for help, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear of what your daughter (and you!) are going through. I really hope you can find the help you need. Please keep us updated.

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

Renie,

So sorry to hear it. An aftermath of anxiety isn't easy, I can recall from personal experience.

In this article on kids, anxiety and allergies: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... rs/?page=1

... we spoke to some good experts in both allergy and in the field of mood and anxiety disorders. If your daughter is struggling, you might want to see such a therapist. I suggest looking at the resources on the Anxiety B.C. website - http://www.anxietybc.com/resources/introduction.php

Then you may want to contact the Anxiety Disorders Assn of Ontario for a suggestion of a therapist in this area in Toronto, if you feel one is needed: http://76.74.242.170/~anxie361/?page_id=128

Best with it! :huggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:00 am 

Thanks so much Gwen!
Knew I was coming to the right place!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 am 

Renie ,
I am so sorry about your daughter's reaction and the challenges she is facing with anxiety. Please continue to post and let us know how you both are doing. I know myself I find it very hard when reactions happen further apart, sounds silly to others not dealing with allergies but it is true. I never stop being vigilant and taking precautions but I think somewhere in the back of my head I convince myself that maybe his allergies aren't as bad or he's outgrowing them. Then when a reaction happens it is like reality smacking me in the face that no, we've just been careful and those allergies are still there.

I hope the links Gwen provided help you and your daughter find the support you need.
We're here for you too. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:31 am 

Thanks everyone
No significant update yet
Hoping for a referral today
My little bunny is still doing her best to cope but feeling it all acutely
Hope to have a better update soon!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:42 pm 

Well - we are waitlisted with a great and well referenced group; fingers crossed.

I have a feeling I should pose this next question in a different thread but it is too closely related to the recent situation and anxiety.

I know bloodwork is contentious regarding value however, I did find it interesting that after the recent big reaction, the value for dairy have sky-rocketed.

The next part of the results was that the allergist is interested in challenging her for egg (baked in a muffin).

The optimist in me wants to! Imagine! The sweet possibility of one less allergy...
Mama bear will wait to see if she feels ready for it (last thing we need right now is another reaction)

What factors have you considered when provided with a challenge opportunity?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I'd say that's great that the allergist feels ready, now let's wait for your daughter to feel ready. Is there any harm in waiting a few months longer?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:56 am 

Oh absolutely!
I will follow her lead. There is no rush and certainly won't be any pressure to challenge now or even later.
If we don't have a handle on the anxiety by then, I don't even think we could consider it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:25 pm 

Well I think we will be forgetting about challenges
And focusing on support for her

Yesterday, she was a bit under the weather, so stayed home from school with a trusted nanny.
I got a panicked phone call; she was certain she was having a reaction (very unlikely as she had only had strawberries).
My heart was completely stopped - she really panicked and I have never seen or heard her like that.
To make my heart failure worse, the line dropped and I couldn't get back through to the house.
I called 911 to get them dispatched as her last words before the line went dead was "I'm having a reaction!!!!"
So, another day at the ER.
On the bright side, she felt the nanny hesitated and so she self-administered her epi. I guess they also got 911 on the line and she ended up self administered a second dose after 10 minutes.

I am having one of those moments where I am wishing for a magic wand.
Not surprisingly, she's even more anxious now :(
We're focusing on recognizing her feelings. Talking a lot about strategies.
The referral/appointment can't come soon enough!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 am 

Oh my goodness!! Your poor daughter. And this is so hard for you too. You must be just reeling from it all. Big :huggy to you all. Please keep us posted with any updated information. We're all here for you, ready to listen anytime.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Yikes! I'm so sorry you and your family are dealing with this.
The Canadian Mental Health Association has a Child, Youth and Family Program in Toronto.

http://www.camh.net/About_CAMH/Guide_to ... rvice.html

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

Bumping this up because anxiety is a very real issue for many people who are dealing with anaphylaxis or any chronic illness. Indeed many allergist associations are are recomending that we include a psychologist in our health care team!