You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Good News to share!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 pm 

My son went to the allergist today. The reason for the appointment is that whenever he visits a home with a rabbit or a fluffy cat, he comes home and middle of the night coughs and vomits.

After taking a history the allergist decided to test for some environmental, food (including peanuts) rabbits and cats. Everything came back negative - the histamine however caused a very definite itchy hive. I've always wondered about the peanut. He absolutely hates even the smell of pb and will gag, choke, vomit - although he does eat the Smarties chocolate bar with pb in it. He claims it isn't really pb in it at all because it tastes good. :? Anyway, I was going to ask that peanut be added to the test, but it was one the doctor felt should be tested.

He did not test for insects. I was hoping to get some of the insects common in this area tested. I thought if I could say to my son "you are not allergic to THAT bug" it might help relieve some of the stress he has been feeling. However the doctor said no. He's to young for the shot (which I don't remember ever hearing about) and he recommends my son avoid ALL insects and always carry his epi-pen. Although, he also said he's not a high risk to develop anaphylaxis. I'm not sure I agree with that - but maybe the odds are in his favour to have only swelling. Doesn't matter - it doesn't change how we deal with it, and the doctor was clear that ds should always have an epi with him.

All in all, a good trip to the allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:52 pm 

Yeah, they have shots for insect stings. I think they have to be at least 5 for them, but I'm not sure.
I'm glad your appointment went well. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:07 pm 

My husband was severely allergic to everything as a child and had numerous anaphylactic episodes and has been near death so many times no one has any idea how many times it happened.

Last summer my MIL casually mentioned that my husband was severly allergic to insect stings as he had been removing the odd wasp nest from around our house. MY MIL HAD NEVER INFORMED MY HUSBAND OF HIS INSECT ALLERGY!!! Mil said that the doctors told her that if my husband was ever stung again he would not make it. She assumed he knew, since he was so close to death from stings before, but my husband says the anapylactic episode memories blend together and he can not always recall the cause of the anaphylaxis in a certain memory of a specific incident. No...he was not aware he was allergic to stings.

Anyways, I freaked out! My husband went for numerous skin tests for various insects and was negative to all. The allergist figures he has outgrown it.

So, the moral of my story is that insect allergy can be outgrown and there is always hope.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:22 pm 

saskmommy, Ummm...that's an *extreme* example of lack of communication! At least your husband is fine now.

AnnaMarie, I wonder if the tests for insects would be a first exposure? And since your son needs to avoid stinging insects anyways, maybe the doctor is thinking that it might not be worth the risk to expose him to various types (because maybe without the test he wouldn't go into anaphylactic shock the first time he was stung by a new insect...but with the test he might?) Just a thought.
It's good to hear that the appointment went well on the whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:24 pm 

When my husband had the tests (this april) it was quite intense. 30+ needles containing venom, and the possibility of a reaction with each. Probably a bit to much for a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:25 pm 

My son is eight. I never even asked what age the shots are recommended for.

Isn't it amazing how different things are from one generation to the next. Most people that are now parents that had allergies as kids - their parents were the opposite of how most people are these days.

I've thought about the possibility of him outgrowing it, but we'll never know anyway. We aren't positive what bit/stung him. I think it was a wasp, but, we were on a farm so it could have been something else. And the bite might have been an insect common in PEI, but not here in TO at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:00 pm 

Oh well, it was good to hear he doesn't have food allergies, that's a major relief. Now you can relax 7-8 months out of the year! :D

Good news.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:35 pm 

Glad to hear your son's appt. went so well! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:01 pm 

AnnaMarie,
So glad the appt went well. It's nice to hear good news!

Maybe the cat/rabbit thing is just a sensitivity to their dander, but not an allergy. You'd still treat it the same way, and avoid them though.

What was his first insect reaction like? I was tested for wasp, hornet, bee and yellow jacket. Both the RAST and SPT were negative. :? Of course, they gave me the Epi Rx, just in case. My currect Doc said I may react to some compound other than what is in the test extract. I think they also test some people for fire ants, if necessary.

SaskMommyof2,
After a wasp sting in my late 30's (and a visit to the ER), my Mom said, "Come to think of it, the Pediatrician said you would probably be allergic the next time you were stung since your were stung by so many red wasps when you were so little!" :evil: :evil: :evil:
DUH!!! Do you think she could have warned me a little sooner? Luckily, my neighbor's husband has a bee sting allergy, so she took me straight to the ER when I started feeling *funny*. (I was stung by about 10 red wasps after hitting a clothesline-pole with a golf club when I was about 4. UGGH)

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:23 pm 

I admit it, I would be tempted to freak out and move to a place where there were no insects...if there is such a place! I hope he outgrows it too.
I thought age 5 was when they could start shots, but I guess it is older, or maybe he has to be a lot older for insect shots. They might be a little more risky then the other shots.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:17 pm 

Speaking of the "move to a place with no insects" thing... I met a lady who is from mexico and owns a small kids clothing store. She moved to canada because her daughter is severely allergic to cochineal bugs (the ones harvested for red food coloring). They are everywhere in mexico and her daughter would have reactions from them landing on her, she is also allergic to red food coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:12 pm 

Daisy wrote:
What was his first insect reaction like?

At two he was bit on the ankle by a flying insect. His leg swelled up to the hip - it was about double it's normal size. I gave him benedryl and we drove to the hospital, which was about an hour away. No phone, no 9-1-1 service there at that time, and no address to give them anyway as we were staying at a cottage on an unnamed lane. The next year he was stung behind the ear. His head and neck (back and side of neck) swelled up. Again, gave benedryl and hopped into the car.

Both times he was kept at the hospital several hours for observation and might have been given more benedryl, but nothing else. bp was fine, and breathing was fine.

I think it was the following year they finally got 9-1-1 service and named the lane. Still no phone, but we have our cell with us, and if the wind is blowing in the right direction we actually get service. :roll:

His last reaction was two years ago. As we were leaving a park I noticed bites on his legs and they were both really swelling up. Gave him the benedryl and hopped into the back of the car. We got stopped by construction and I explained our predicament (heading to hospital will little kid having a reaction) and they pulled enough vehicles off the road to let us pass. Anyway, by the time we got to the city his reaction was almost completely faded. I will not let my guard down though. I don't know if his reaction are getting less each time, or if it's just that it was a different insect.

He seems to be very sensitive to all insects. Even a mosquito bite on him will be about double the size of anyone else's. I don't worry that it's a serious reaction, but I do keep an eye on him when he's bit by anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 pm 

I'm glad things went well, AnnaMarie!

Nicole wrote:
Oh well, it was good to hear he doesn't have food allergies, that's a major relief.

At our "Ask the Allergist" support group meeting this year, the allergist said that those with insect venom allergies tend not to be food allergic, and vice versa. I thought that was very interesting.

Anyone here dealing with both in the same person?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:02 am 

Well, my grandmother has both. As a kid, she developed a severe allergy to bee stings. She isn't one to go to the doctor's too often (and she lives in the US so she would have to pay...I bet that is a factor), but it sounds like she now has OAS and reacts to some type of shellfish....shrimp I think she said.

I'm not sure if I'm allergic to bees or not...it is something I've always worried about. So I'm sure glad that people with food allergies are infrequently allergic to bees! I was only 1/2 stung by a yellowjacket once...in 1985...so I don't really know. I'm okay with mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies. (well, actually, I've been known to 'overreact' to biting flies. my one sister *loves* telling the story about me standing up in a canoe wildly swatting at a horsefly with my paddle. i don't think my mom will ever get into a canoe with me again. it was *attacking* me! but I'm not actually allergic to them.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:15 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
He seems to be very sensitive to all insects. Even a mosquito bite on him will be about double the size of anyone else's.

I've noticed this with my son as well...when he gets a bite from a mosquito or black fly, the area gets really inflamed and gets as big as a quarter. He recently got a bite on his forehead that later looked like he had banged his head and gotten a small "goose egg". I just chalked it up to his allergic sensitivity. Now I'm wondering if this is a symptom of something bigger....(I hope not!)?