You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:07 am 

When my son was 2 he had his first reaction to an insect. He carries and epi-pen and benedryl. He's always been afraid of bugs, even before he ever had a reaction. But this year he seems terrified.

He ran away from a wasp - directly in front of a car. :shock: (Fortunately, the driver was going slow and did stop in time.)

On a school walking trip, when a wasp flew past him he went into complete freak zone. Refused to continue on the trip.

He told me that he's been *hiding* in the school during lunch and recess because of insects in the school yard. For that, I suggested he stay on the paved area or playscape as there are less insects there. Also, don't hide in the school, tell the staff why he is going in. I also let his teacher know about this.

There was also an incident during outdoor gym, but I'm not exactly clear on the details. Just that involved my son and a flying insect.

Any ideas how to help him get past this? He's got allergies to a biting and a stinging insect.

I spray him with repellent in the morning, but I think it's actually only good for biting insects, and it wears off by afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am 

Because my son is so sensitive to bug sprays, etc. I picked him up a citronella plastic bug bracelet to help ward off mosquitos and black flies. I picked it up at Shopper's Drug Mart in their "seasonal" section (pack of 2 for $3.99). When I put it on him - he got a kick out of putting his arm up in the air and "keeping the bugs back" with the "power" of this bracelet. What if you picked him up something like this - not so much for the effectiveness of the bug repellency but more for the psychological effect of feeling protected. You could explain that the bracelet helps keep bugs away because they don't like the smell - and he'd have the feeling like something he could see and wear was on his person protecting him? It might give him that added security?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:23 am 

Wow, that's a difficult thing for him to deal with, and you too. It sounds like a ful blown phobia, which I think all of us with life threatening allergies are suseptible to. He has to learn that he can not live his life afraid and hiding, but that is easier said then done. For me it helps to say a mantra to myself. I use the one from Dune:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

It really works, but you might want to have a more simple one for a little person. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:03 pm 

Poor munchkin! It sounds like he's getting old enough to understand what's going on, so it is at once good and bad. Good because he knows to avoid being around the insects, bad because he hasn't learned to control his fear. It will come with maturity, no doubt. Explain to him that it doesn't happen very often, that as long as he has his epipen, he's okay, that getting excited around insects could make it worse. Tell him also that he's lived through eight summers no problem.

My neighbour is allergic to wasps and she's out in her garden day in, day out. She has never been stung since her allergy has been diagnosed. (And she loves gardening too much to worry about it!)

Would sun coverups be of help? I don't know much about insect stings, I imagine they could sting through fabric, or does it deter them? The sun coverups have the advantage of being light weight.

I like ethansmom's idea a lot too! It's not life-saving, but like she says, more psychological.

I guess people with insect bite allergies really look forward to winter!

I hope he feels better soon. :wink:

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:39 pm 

He has always been the type of kid that prefers to be home and inside. But, we have always encouraged him to be out and about. He goes on school field trips to the zoo, and woods. We've taken him to farms, even though his second reaction happened on my uncle's farm.

I will not hide him away just because of bugs - and anyway, spiders are inside bugs, they bite, and I'm suspecting a mild reaction to a bite that was probably a spider bite. So, basically, earth is not safe for my child.

Anyway, ethansmom, this bracelet thing - it is citronella, not deet, right? I spray him with deet, but I don't want it hanging around his wrist. I only spray his legs and feet (other areas on occasion - like going out to fireworks in the evening when there will be more bugs). The bracelet sounds like a great idea - even if it is more in his head then in reality.

I spoke to his teacher this morning, and she is agreeable to spraying him before he goes out at lunch time. I had to get permission at the office (I'm basically saying I want to send a bottle of poison to my son's class. :shock: ) One person in the office felt I should teach him to spray himself and not involve the teacher, but I pointed out little kids spray aaaalllllllll over and I don't want deet going in someone's face.

shai, we are getting him saying a mantra about staying calm (in general) right now. I don't think I can add bugs into it. lol

Nicole, I agree with your neighbour. I do not want my son hiding indoors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:10 pm 

Yes, the packaging says "Citronella Wristband" - contains pure citronella, non-toxic, one size fits all (it's got holes to size it to your wrist), waterproof, lasts 120 hours (keep in a bag when not in use). It's made by "Orna Scent". Besides the wrist, you can also wear it on an ankle, loop it on a back pack, loop it onto the back of a baseball cap, or on a belt buckle or his ebelt.

I also came across this on the web when I was researching non-toxic bug repellants, it's called the "bug button" but they don't sell in retail stores in Canada - you'd have to buy from their website (but I confirmed that they do ship to Canada).
http://www.bugbutton.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:03 pm 

Annamarie,
I'm right there with your son! :( When I see a red wasp, I freeze. They seem to be everywhere right now.
I have looked into several things to repel them. One is a fake nest you can get from garden sources that looks like a bee hive or a hornet's nest. This is supposed to make the wasp's think the yard is already "taken." (It seems they are very territorial.) The other thing is to plant mint to repellant. I may try planting this near our vegetable garden, and the fake nest at our back door. They seem to always be drinking from our dog's bowl.

The wristband for your son sounds like a great idea. There is some evidence that they don't like citronella, and it would make him feel like a Power Ranger.

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am 

The Shopper's Drug Mart near me does not carry them anymore. Neither does the grocery store pharmacy. I'll keep looking around though.

My son doesn't freeze when he sees insects - he runs blindly. He did it again last night, and was heading onto a very busy street, during rush hour. All because of a dragon fly. I don't even think they bite do they? I haven't seen him this stressed in 6 years.

I planted mint in my back yard - peppermint and spearmint. They took over one side. (Mint is like a weed - it just grows and grows.) There are never wasps/hornets in the mint - but they are often on the other side of my very tiny back yard. If he was a girl, maybe I could make an *Anne of Green Gables type* ring of mint for him to wear in his hair. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:28 pm 

For getting rid of wasps around the house, I know that Lee Valley sells a wasp trap:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 55&p=10298

Could you ask your pharmacy to order the wristband? Sometimes they will order stuff in if people ask for it. Sounds like a great idea.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:11 pm 

I suppose I could ask him to special order it, but the guy went into this big hulla-bulloo about how citronella doesn't really work, only deet works. He says you have to keep applying and reapplying citronella and it only works where you actually apply it. blah blah blah And I'm trying to signal him to clap his trap! My son was with me. And right now what I want is a mental defense. Sheesh! Anyway, if it works where you actually apply it, then I think the bracelet sounds better then the sprays because it will be there all day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:49 pm 

AnneMarie, I found the manufacturer's website if that's any help.

http://www.hubmar.com/ornascent/citrone ... celet.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:40 pm 

Yes -- that's them Nicole.
AnnaMarie here's the UPC code in case you find a Shopper's that's willing to order them in for you: 61331 99222.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:26 pm 

Thanks everyone. And the link helps because now I know what to actually look for. :)

Right now I have several family members on the look-out for them. I may end up with several years supply. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen those at Dollarama!
We love Dollarama :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:35 pm 

Dollarama is the best! Lots of peanut/nut free candy!